• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Modding an Epiphone Les Paul SL.

cottonmike

Yep, I"m sorry. Somebody needed to be that guy..........

I'm a old newbie. (59). Have always wanted to learn on a Melody Maker that I was also modding. They should call this thing an Epiphone Melody Maker, because that's exactly what it is. The single coils that come stock are pretty interesting an maybe even kind of unique, from what I've read.

I am going to put a mini hum in the bridge. It's output is 8.6K. Would it be worth it to coil split it?
Secondly, Would it be a good idea to consider swapping the neck SC with the bridge, to better match with the mini hum? The stock pickups do sound great and seem to be very well balance for output and tone.

Thank you,

Michael
-

PartoftheDark

If you don't like the hum, I'd set it up for parallel instead of splitting it. It never hurts to have that option in a humbucker though. I do on all of mine that have 4 leads. I'd probably leave the neck pickup alone. It's probably already a good match for any bridge you put in there and it's less work this way.

cap10kirk

Mini humbucker or single coil sized humbucker? I usually think of the Les Paul Deluxe and Firebird pickups when I think of mini hums, so I'm just making sure I know what you're talking about.
Personally, I'm not a fan of split humbuckers, especially mini hums since they're typically weaker than a full size humbucker to start with. I've never tried splitting one of those Strat single coil sized humbuckers though, so I don't really know how they sound split. I will say, though, that it can't hurt to wire it so you can split it...if you like it split, great, and if you don't you can still use it as a full humbucker. I think bridge humbuckers with neck single coils work pretty well though, as long as the humbucker isn't too hot. So I'd leave the neck pickup alone.

cottonmike

Mini humbucker or single coil sized humbucker? I usually think of the Les Paul Deluxe and Firebird pickups when I think of mini hums, so I'm just making sure I know what you're talking about.
Personally, I'm not a fan of split humbuckers, especially mini hums since they're typically weaker than a full size humbucker to start with. I've never tried splitting one of those Strat single coil sized humbuckers though, so I don't really know how they sound split. I will say, though, that it can't hurt to wire it so you can split it...if you like it split, great, and if you don't you can still use it as a full humbucker. I think bridge humbuckers with neck single coils work pretty well though, as long as the humbucker isn't too hot. So I'd leave the neck pickup alone.
Thanks, you covered every concern that I had. This is a true mini hum, not stacked.. Yes, the neck single coil sounds great and also I wanted to leave it original anyway. My whole purpose was to have a SC and HB in the same guitar from the start.

I think that's good advice about not swapping the single coils to put the bridge up front.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom