Modding an older Blue FDII?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

I have the older Blue Fulltone FDII, without the 3 way toggle. Before I e-mail Mike (with the distinct possibility of getting my head bitten off via e-mail), does anyone know offf-hand if he would consider modding this to add the 3 way switch, or would i need to get a new version?

Thanks,

Brian

2. billygoat

billygoat Member

You could do what I did for a friend, and add a push-pull pot for FM, or vintage. Then you can run comp-cut mode with either the fm eq or a vintage eq, which is a little more versatile.

I doubt mike would mod it for you, but what harm is there in asking?

3. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had a 1997 Blue model. Was in the same boat. He politely declined for me. I ended up selling it for what I paid for it. I planned to get a new one, but ended up getting a Texas Two Step instead. I know that someone on ebay offers to do it for around $30

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Aramat Effects do a mod to older FD2s where they leave the comp cut push-pull on the knob, but add a two-way toggle to enable Vintage or Flat-Mids. Eric 'Roscoe' Ambel from Steve Earle had this mod done to his FD2 and is very happy with it.

I believe Aramat's price for this is also very reasonable.

5. trumpus

Yeah,

I e-mailed Aramat and he said he'd do a toggle between full and FM, but not anything about vintage....are these different?

I am at the point where i would consider getting rid of this pedal, but fo the reasonable $40 that Aramat asks for the mod, i'd try it out first (since i have a sentimental attachment to it...)...

Brian

6. Realfi

The Vintage and full are the same. Vintage is effectively the pre flat-mids sound which a lot of people prefer.

I think $40 is gotta be worth a try.

I actually did sell my FM FD2 prior to trying this mod and do regret that a bit. I've gone the TIM/Timmy route now and I think overall they suit my sound better.

7. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Ditto and Ditto. I sent him my FD2 when I bought Keith's Aramat-modded DS-1 Distortion. I sent payment for both along with the FD in order to save postage on getting them back. I wasn't really hurting to have the FD modded, as I wasn't even using it that much, but the price was low enough, and I'd had an email conversation with Ambel in which he recommended it, so I said "what the heck" and had it done. I think I appreciate the mod a little better now than when I got it. FWIW - I pulled the FD2 out of my little-used pedal pile last Friday and gave it another shot ('twixt Tele and Deluxe Reverb) at a gig. I was rather pleased with the way that it sounded, and I only used the mode that Keith added.

-Scott McKNight

8. trumpus

Thanks guys!

I can't think of a reason NOT to try this mod out. I too have gone the Timmy route, and while the FD still has a place on my board, i'm planing on picking up an Analogman Silver TS9 for my primary second stage OD, and using the Timmy as my boost/first stage, so the FD2 is just icing for me.

I'm fine sending it out to get modded, as i'm not really playing out now, and a few weeks without it is nothing for me.

ANy idea ont he turnaround time for something like this?

Brian

9. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

When I had it done, just about 2 years ago exactly, the turnaround was really quick. I don't recall exactly, but I got the sense that he did the actual work within a couple days of receiving the pedal, then sent it right back. He may be busier now.

-Scott

10. Realfi

I got a Green Machine from him and that was pretty quick even though it was built from scratch.

11. trumpus

Got another e-mail from him - he quoted a 2 day turnaround once he gets it!! Damn thats quick!

Its going to go out this week i think.

Brian