Modding guitars to roll off bass?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axdxm, Apr 17, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

I still like the functionality of the traditional tone knob to roll off highs, but I like how my guitars sound better through pedals that cut bass. I understand Reverend and G&L have this feature on some of their guitars (Reverend calls it "Bass Contour" control).

Curious if anyone has modded their guitar to have a passive bass rolloff, or if it is worth the time.

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I've done it. Works well to tame a muddy neck humbucker and it can make a P90 sound almost like a telecaster.

3. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

Care to share details?

4. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

I had my LP wired that way once. I found this online.

[​IMG]

This configuration shows a bass roll-off control.

J.R.

5. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I've been tempted to add that to some of my other guitars. On the Reverends I have, it is an amazing tonal control, and I find that I roll off about 30% of the bass for live use to get me out of the 'mud' zone with the band and it makes a big difference.

I usually leave the tone control alone, but the bass contour is something I play with at home a 'lot'. for chugga chords, you can get some really interesting tonal variation. Going back to the guitars without it is certainly very noticeable.

6. charliemccarter

charliemccarter Supporting Member

The G&L PTB is super useful. I find that it takes a bit to dial in but then I miss it on other guitars.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Duncan's answer to muddy pickups -

[​IMG]

9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

If you want an easy passive bass roll-off instead of the traditional passive treble-roll-off tone pot, simply use a choke coil in place of the capacitor. Choke values are measured in henries (or micro-henries) instead of micro or pico-farads. Begin with values between 1 and 4 henries and work from there to get the tone curve you want.

10. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Interesting idea. You may be able to do with a rotary switch that would route your signal to the tone pot through various capacitors. The lower the value the cap, the greater amount of treble frequencies would be able to pass through.

.022 = a lot of treble
    .033 = less treble
    .047 = even less treble

Caps can be had going further in either direction, too.

11. 909one

909one Member

I've got a bass roll-off on my Jazzmaster... I used the extra knob section on the top and converted it to a Hi-Pass filter. Its cool, you can make things sound a little more Strat like. It never quite had the taper the way I liked but I just realized I was using an Audio taper instead of a linear taper as recommended, that probably explains it. I want to try this TBX mod. This looks really cool.

12. 909one

909one Member

The Jaguar 'strangle switch' uses a .003u cap. That would definitely be a good place to start.