Modelers and Guitar Cabs

Mac70

What is your experience using modelers into guitar cabs, and what is your signal chain?
I use a Helix into a Class D poweramp into my 1x12 Cab with a Vintage 30, sounds very good to me.
Sometimes I forget I'm using the Helix, and for a brief moment I can get a nice cognitive dissonance when I look and see what sits on top of my Cab. :)

sleewell2

i love using modelers and cabs. my current live rig is helix lt into 5153 fx return into an orange 4x12 with a shure wireless.

i think its the best of both worlds bc you use the modeler for amps and effects and the cab still gives you that punch in the chest you miss going direct w no cabs.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
SY1000 with Stomp for IRs and routing and GR55 for trumpets into either the Mustang or my PS100 into my Metropoulis 212 loaded with F12s. So guitar cabs with "flattened" guitar speakers. My G1285 412 is awesome as well. I am looking at some 112 options so I can start doing a modular 1/4 stack gigging rig.

LaXu

It works fine but limits the versatility of amp models as the cab will tend to make them more similar sounding and the same cab is not going to be perfect for every amp model.

That's why I prefer full range systems with cab sims for modelers and use real amps with a more limited sound set and easier functionality with real guitar cabs.

JRod4928

I just got a 4x12, and I can tell you that modelers with a 4x12 is incredibly satisfying - very satisfying with 2x12 or 1x12 also, but a 4x12 rumbles and responds differently - hard to explain. Obviously depends on quality of your amp and cab/speakers though.

Much prefer this route over FRFR, even if it limits the versatility of the modeler a little bit - I don't mind because it's more authentic.

Currently have a 4x12 Greenback cab and a Mesa Oversized 1x12 (closed). Once I add an open back 1x12, I'll have a lot of tonal bases covered...

JRod4928

i love using modelers and cabs. my current live rig is helix lt into 5153 fx return into an orange 4x12 with a shure wireless.

i think its the best of both worlds bc you use the modeler for amps and effects and the cab still gives you that punch in the chest you miss going direct w no cabs.

This. I've used a 5153 in the same way before, and can vouch this.

Mac70

helix lt into 5153 fx return into an orange 4x12
Using the Preamp or full Amp models?

It works fine but limits the versatility of amp models as the cab will tend to make them more similar sounding and the same cab is not going to be perfect for every amp model.
I know and hear what you're saying.
I like having my cab as 'common anchor' to better 'understand' what the amp model is doing, but when using IRs I choose the appropriate/matching one.

sleewell2

Using the Preamp or full Amp models?

I know and hear what you're saying.
I like having my cab as 'common anchor' to better 'understand' what the amp model is doing.
When using IRs I choose the appropriate/matching one.

preamp sims. i have compared them both and prefer the preamp sims with the power section of the 5153. plus they use less dsp which leaves more room for effects.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
What is your experience using modelers into guitar cabs, and what is your signal chain?
I use a Helix into a Class D poweramp into my 1x12 Cab with a Vintage 30, sounds very good to me.
Sometimes I forget I'm using the Helix, and for a brief moment I can get a nice cognitive dissonance when I look and see what sits on top of my Cab. :)
Cabinets are great - what are you using to amplify the signal?

sleewell2

The versatility factor for me is HIGHLY overrated. Because I just ended dialing in the same sound for every amp model I pick anyway :anon :love: :Devil

i agree 100%. i just want to sound like me and find i still can quite easily with my favorite cab. IRs can become a rabbit hole and then you EQ them and high and low cuts it becomes a lot or with the cab sims you have several mics and mic placement, etc... vs just plugging into a good cab that does it all automatically.

Mac70

preamp sims. i have compared them both and prefer the preamp sims with the power section of the 5153. plus they use less dsp which leaves more room for effects.
Same, when using the FX Return of my amp, they sound just like any tube preamp.
But more often I use full Amp models with lower Master volume into a small Class D poweramp, sounds very real to me too.

Cabinets are great - what are you using to amplify the signal?

A small Class D poweramp.
Give me about 30W of distortion free clean amplification, which is WAY more than enough than what I need.

Ejay

Kemper (most used for recording/iem) or ethos+gtcore (club gigs) into various stuff:

Fendersuperchampx2, modded with a poweramp input&gold speaker. (Most used, small/light, sounds great.
When I need more power/stereo..i add a Mesa express 25….or a Laney studio IRT & 1x12 cab

Or

Either a mesa20/20 or a Engl 830/50 and v30 loaded oversized 1x12 together with a small fender CS 1x12 loaded with…Idnk ;-)

Obviously I have to much s**t…but it all sounds great..some need a twist of a global eq…and it’s scalable.

If I was to start on a blanco page…I’d buy the champ, Laney and oversized 1x12 back first.

Top Bottom