Modelers...EVERYWHERE!

kyolic

One should be mad for carrying a 35 kg tube amp with him to a gig in 2022. Get one of the big four and be done with it. You may have as many tube amps as you like at home or at your studio, that makes perfect sense cos' we all love tube amps. But carrying them to gigs at this point where modeling has reached, man!..

John Dell

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see them here (SF Bay) at all, but I imagine they are probably not uncommon with corporate/function bands.
I read about them on TGP all the time but have only seen it twice in over 20 yrs of playing Austin clubs (small, medium, large)

TBH the DI guitar I heard recently sounded good. Nothing stood out as amazing or anything but I'm sure the guy liked not having to carry an amp!

So I'm pretty sure it is a niche for churches, corporate, arenas, home use, etc. Bass players around here are a different story. The Latin music guys never use amps anymore but they don't have modeling, pedals, etc, either. They just show up and expect the venue to use a DI

One should be mad for carrying a 35 kg tube amp with him to a gig in 2022. Get one of the big four and be done with it. You may have as many tube amps as you like at home or at your studio, that makes perfect sense cos' we all love tube amps. But carrying them to gigs at this point where modeling has reached, man!..
In my younger days, I took a JCM900 half-stack with me not only to every gig, but every practice because that's all I had then. Packed the head and 4x12 downstairs from my bedroom and crammed them into a Toyota Tercel each time. The 4x12 was beat all to hell from repeatedly stuffing it into and removing it from the backseat of that little car, plus it did a number on the seat upholstery. All the strained fumbling cost me hundreds of dollars in resale value for both the cabinet and the car.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that worked fine for my 24 year-old self. Now it would just flat kill me. A part of my brain still marvels when I grab my Helix LT and head out the door with only that and my guitar. It feels like I'm using a cheat code.

Ejay

Theres a whole bunch of tube amps between 10 and 20kg plenty loud enough for gigs. Obviously not as light as a single modeler…nevertheless within the zone of “light enough to be comfortable”/ not back breaking.

ASATClassic

I've seen some church guys use modelers, but in the clubs the only one I've seen use a modeler is me. I love not hauling extra gear around, but most guys don't seem to care. It's not unusual to see big amps on stage, along with a half dozen guitars. Whew!

Last edited:

andjar

If it wasn't for modellers i would have quit playing guitar. The wife has has no tolerance for loud and sometimes even audible guitar sounds. But she watches her Korean soaps on her phone i play guitar in my phones...so we are happy enough :))).
Went a few months ago to my parents house. They kept my room just the same... plugged my strat in my beloved 5W el84 blackheart amp + witeface RAT ri and played for a few minutes . It sounded as great as ever,i thought i missed it and i do...sometimes but...nah... i'm good with my nux mg30 and a small yamaha monitor or phones now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom