Modeling Amp Users...I Need Suggestion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reo73, Jun 26, 2006.

1. reo73

reo73 Member

I'm looking for suggestions on the purchase of a modeling combo amp. What amp(s) does this community generally feel has some of the more organic sounding tones on the market, especially in the medium gain area? Preferably the amp would take a pedal well too.

Ryan

2. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I thought the Valvetronic from Vox has gotten good reviews. There is always line 6, or the tonelab pedal from Vox seems to be a good tool....

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Good luck finding a Modeling amp only user here!

Just kiddin' bro':rotflmao

For fun, I have a Pod XL going into a VHT Poweramp/BBE. About the only thing that can breath life into a Teflon coated modeling tone is a tube power amp. I love this Pod/vht setup! Tons of tone/effect tweaking fun!:p Their are some very usable tones here. May I suggest staying away from MODELING COMBO'S. Your stuck with that lifeless power section. I've owned a Vetta and another Line6 combo I rather forget about. They had a nasal middle tone factor I could not e.q out! If you must own a modeling combo, The Cube's are getting good reviews. I've played thru a few and their not bad at all! :eek:

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've had a Roland Cube, and sold it after six months. I now have a Vox AD50VT, and it's a little more adjustable, for effects. I wouldn't gig with either, but I do use a Zoom G2 pedal, for both live and for recording. It's inexpensive, and has modeling and multi-effects. The effects, are much more controlable, and the amp models are much more sensitive to guitar dynamics.

The presets sound too over the top, for me, and it took some time build my own patches. Some of the models are better than others, but overall, I'm very pleased with the unit.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Valvetronix.

The Combo is very good. Read the reviews. Make sure you get the AD120VTX, not the older AD120VT

6. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

the Vox AD120VT works for me. Its the best thing in modelling out there. Give it a spin.....

Just remember to put it on manual mode, and dime the master. Thats the only way it will give you tube-like tone and compression.

7. bailnout

bailnout Member

IMO the most organic modeling combo is the Hughes & Kettner Zentera. It's expensive but you get what you pay for. I really had a hard time telling it wasn't a tube amp on some of the patches.

8. VCuomo

VCuomo Gold Supporting Member

Well, here's a vote from a "Modeling amp only user" (although I do own a couple of tube amps). :p

Go for the Vetta - with the new version of the firmware (v2.50), the Vetta beats 'em all, if you like tweaking. If you don't like tweaking, the Vox is great too (but more limited in what it can do - that's the tradeoff).

9. punx0r 1337i57

punx0r 1337i57 Member

Vox Valvetronix is the best. Try out a Line 6 Spider II on the crunch setting, though. Those are pretty good by solid state standards. The Valvetronix are a lot more versatile, though.

10. Gigino

Gigino Member

I've a vox AD60VT, a pod and a Fernder DRRI. I use an A/B box to select betwen Guitar->Pod->Normal Channel of DRRI and Guitar->DRRI. Now i'm happy. The sound is much better then Vox

11. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

:puh :puh :puh

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Not many guys talk about the new Zoom stuff, but there's a lot of gold to be mined in these units. I use the G2.1U just for effects, but I did try out the 9 and it's pretty awesome. It's a floor processor with 2 tubes and so you need a power amp/cab setup but I think Zoom has made another quantum leap in processing. New chip, tubes, etc. I passed on it at least in part because for live use, I could not read the screen for tuning. Stupid design error on their part. The 2.1 has a different readout and is fine, but the 7 and 9 have little fonts that are, imho, useless in a live situation. I think with time and reviews, we're going to hear a lot more about the Zoom stuff.

The GNX series is also excellent and I prefer that over the POD and Vox stuff.

But these days, it's all tube amps for me for my 2 bands. I just use the processors for effects only. But if an amp craps out live, I can just take the processor, bring up a model patch, run it into my backup Powerblock, to cab, and I'm fully backed up.

jon

13. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I gig with my Vox AD50VT, and I get lots of compliments on the tone. It works really well with my Tele. I imagine the 60 and 120 watt versions are even better. I have played a dozen gigs in a row without any reliability problems. I have a review and video clips on my web site too. The cool thing is that it sounds good at pretty much any volume. My tube amp needs to be cranked quite loud before it "opens up", but modeling amps don't suffer much from that issue.

The Valvetronix amps beat any other modeling amp I've tried.

14. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

If you want to stick to analog modelling rather than going the digital route, try the Tech 21 stuff - the Trademark 10, 60 or 120... They're solid state, but a fully analog signal path. No effects other than reverb though, so if you need the digital effects, they won't fit the bill... personally, I think they're the most "organic" sounding modellers out there right now...

15. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I would not bother, I have not found one that can hang with a nice tube amp, they are like a picture of the real thing, if that makes sense, that being said I have owned a bunch (play in a cover band and was hoping to make my life easier). They lack punch and dynamics and dont cut well live but see below !

Vox valvetronix - 2-12 VTX was decent, closed back is nice and over tone was good, noise gate sucked and the high gain models were noisy also didnt like that you could not have say wah and a dist pedal on at the same time. Used it a few gigs and sold it, also owned the 1-12 combo and hated it

Line 6- Vetta II was pretty cool, tons of efx, great layout ect, combo was way way too wimpy, open back just didnt do it. Head was very nice and you could get great recorded tones and basement tones, live it seemed brittle, and had no sack. HD147 is the best amp they make, punchier and sounded very good, used this head for awhile but then when I compared it to a tube amp, well no comparison. I really like the line 6 efx tho. One thing I hate is how line 6 modeled in the ghost notes in some of the older amps, they figure hey if its in the old amp its in the model but thats retarded and they sound crappy when you hear them. I kinda liked the flextone 2's actually but same thing, no balls, any band I see using them sounds wimpy (in my opinion)

H&K Zentera, combo lacked balls, forget open back with modeling (Im talking on the high gain sounds, for clean its fine). I had a few heads and combos and they were touchy, meaning they acted up for no reason LOL !!!! The head was the best and also the best tone of any of the modeling amps tho the really high gain modrn sounds to me were so so. The plexi and hot rodded plexi tones were super and so were the cleans, this amp is noisy tho and no noise gate (they felt it ruined the tone) also for a modeling amp the efx are lmited and its expense so just buy the Triamp which is way way better.

Hope this helps, A/b it next to a tube amp and you wont buy one

16. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Oh almost forgot someone mentioned Tech 21, I had the tradmark 60/10 and 120, the 120 did not do it for me the 10 was cool but the 60 kicks ass, I gigged with it and really had good results, sold it cause I wanted 3 channels

17. bailnout

bailnout Member

I love my PODxt Live into my Tech 21 Power Engine!

18. bduersch

bduersch Member

Having owned Johnson, Fender, & Vox modeling amps over the years and tried pretty much all the Line6 gear, the zenTera (head) is the best I've found so far from a tone & feel standpoint. The zenTera doesn't have as many models, FX, parameters, etc. as the competition, but on the flip side, the available models still cover a wide range of sonic ground and good tones are relatively easy to dial in. Totally agree with jharpersj that it is noisy, though it is manageable with some tweaking--I swear that every preset on the amp ships with the gain on "10" even though many models have more than enough gain (and much less noise) as low as "6". Alternating between hi & lo input sensitivity also impacts the amount of noise. I did experience some funky behavior when using firmware v2.33, but it went away as soon as I upgraded to v2.34 from the H&K website.

As for the zenTera vs. Triamp discussion... I won't go there, because they're totally different animals. I will say that the Triamp II is one of the most versatile tube heads I've ever played in my life. Has Fendery cleans, Voxy chime, Plexish (yeah, I'm making up words now) crunch, and some unique high gain tones. But with 13 tubes in it, it better be versatile... only thing I've ever owned with more tubes was a Randall MTS rack (RM4 + RT2/50 -- total of 18 tubes -- not wise to drop when unloading the van before a gig).

--B

PS--Here's my current rig, so I'm glad to talk the merits of either the zenTera or Triamp II given the chance. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I really liked my Vetta combo. I ran it with a Marshall cab as well and it sounded decent.
    Another great amp is a Roland VGA-7 modeling amp. I still have mine and enjoy playing it.
    Those two amps are great for saving time and getting a good tone and the VGA-7 has the ability to model a couple of different guitars AND any tuning that you want when used with the GK pickup.
    When I used mine "live" I kept an open G tuning in one patch for when my band played "Start Me Up" by the Stones. It was really cool.
    Of course none of them can really stand up to a tube amp. But the plus side is my Vetta and Roland ALWAYS sounded consistent. And they sounded great in the PA out front where it really counts.
    You didn't have to worry about mic'ing the amp up and finding the speakers "sweet spot" or getting feedback from your amp mic.
    And I'm still not sure that my current all tube rig really sounds any different to the average drunk sitting in the nightclub 50 feet from the stage and hearing whatever frequencies that reach their ears at that distance from the PA.

20. Electric I

Electric I Member

I second what bluesdoc said about the new zoom processors. I run a G7 into the clean channel of either a johnson loredo (inexpensive all-tube combo) for low vol rehearsal or a traynor ycv40 for gigs. Best of all worlds.

And I've had the vox ad60 (both versions) & also the ad120...

bduersch - that's some rig...