Modeling amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nland, Jun 16, 2006.

1. nland

nland Member

Hi. I just came across this site today and think it's pretty cool. I'm blown away at the number of folks who are playing tube amps. Just wondered what some opinions are of modeling amps?

I've been playing guitar for 34 years and just started using modeling amps and have some mixed thoughts about them. I bought a Line 6 Duoverb Head and a Flextone III combo off of ebay recently. Love the duoverb but the Flextone sounds a little thin and raspy for my tastes. I'm not into solid state amps, and just simply can't crank a tube amp here at home, so modeling seemed the way to go for me.

2. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

I've got a Mk IIC+, Tremoverb, and a Vetta. I like the Vetta ALOT. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist, so I'm no tone god, but I think modeling amps are great at low volumes and the number of options that the Vetta gives are so huge that it'll keep you occupied for a good long while.

That being said, it's hard to beat the Boogies when they get good and cranked.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I dug my Duoverb! Definitely some great tones in there to use. I used mine live for praise/worship music...the direct outs for both amps is incredibly easy to send to the board and combine there!!!

4. Curt

Curt Member

I went the othere way. After owning a half dozen high dollar botique amps, I sold them and bought a Cube 60. Love it. I finally came to the realization that owning a $2,500 head and $750 2/12 cab to play in my living room was insane.

Try a Cube 60. You'll love it.

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Anyone use the valvetronix series amps? Or is the cube 60 that much better?

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Another gigging Cube 60 owner here. After trying all of the above modelers, the C60 is the only tonally acceptable one for me. Yup, my favorite tube amp sounds better but, for the $300 I spent on the C60, I can't really complain. I also recently purchased a 2nd C60 for a gigging backup and decided to try wiring them in stereo. Neat little gigging rig ;).

7. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Sorry, legislation has been passed.
    [​IMG]

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

In my opinion, in sound, flexibility, tube-like playability, and stage versatility, the Valvetronix wins hands down. I can get great tube tone at 1 watt with the Valvetronix. The cube seemed like it needed to be up louder than I could 'bedroomize' with to sound good.

Alot of Cube fanatics here. You can't really lose either way. Test them both and be your own judge.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've owned Line 6, Vox and Roland's modeling amps.

I liked the Vox VT120; but it was heavy, big and cost me over $1K with the big fancy footpedal; I sold it.

I own and use the Cube 60 (cost $345); I use a few of my pedals I already own. For the money nothing touches it.

IMHO.

10. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I like the Valvetronix series. Had a AD30VT. Liked the tone and "feel" a lot.

11. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I also had a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, but replaced with a Tech 21 Trademark 30. I find the Tech 21 easier to use (fewer buttons to fiddle with = :AOK), and easier to get a range of decent sounds from. The Vox took more tweaking, and for the life of me I could never get a good distorted tone from it. I find that the Tech 21 supplies more convincing distortion than the Vox. Ironically, I tried a Trademark 60 but didn't like it very much. Like the Vox it took a lot of tweaking to get a decent tone. This was an used amp, though - not sure if the current TM60 is different. The "character" selections on the TM30 cover most of my tonal needs for a practice amp. And the possibility to add a touch of spring reverb is really nice.

12. nland

nland Member

I saw that Tech 21 is coming out with a 4 x 10 and 2 x 12 version of the Trademark 60 which they debuted at the Winter NAMM show.

I do like the sound of the Duoverb that I own alot and think that maybe a 2 x 12 Flextone would give me a little more than the 1x 12 Flextone combo I have. On my Flextone III Plus, even with the extension cab and many EQ tweaks, the sound still sounds brittle and thin to me.

I never had any experience with the Valvetronix series but heard a guy playing one live with a telecaster. The sounds were incredible that he was getting out of that amp.

Here's the big dilemna for me as a "hobbyist" who plays at home: alot of the 1 x 12 solid states sound like crap. Solid states in general just don't do much for me. I owned a Hot Rod Deville but it was simply too loud for home playing so I tried the Blues Jr...too boxy sounding.

I really like 2 x 12 amps..finding one that won't get the neighbors angry AND sounds good is the dilemna.

13. LaXu

LaXu Member

I don't like Line6 gear much. IMO they're "quantity over quality" stuff. They've done a great job at marketing though, but in the tone department others do it better IMO.

I own a Yamaha DG80 1x12 combo which I've had since 1998 or 1999. It still holds it's own against more recent modelers and has by far the best user interface out of all modelers on the market.

Other good ones are the Vox Valvetronix amps, Tech21 stuff and Hughes&Kettner Zentera/Zenamp. The Roland Cubes are ok.

14. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

:puh I'd gotten frustrated with my tube amps latley, I was think about buy'n another amp. I just put a line6 Bean Pod (that I bought on a whim and used maybe twice w/headphones.) up for sale to get some new amp scratch. I hooked it up to my VHT 50/50 to make sure it was working as a preamp and..WOW, this thing acually sounds pretty damn good! I put a BBE in line and that really did the trick! I'm having fun for the first time in a long time...Granted, It ain't my Guytron or Tophat but with a good tube section, these line6 Pods can rock! not to mention all the tweaking fun that one may have forgetton about with 1 or 2 channel tubeys that are plug and play. For the record, The VHT and BBE has alot to do with the sound..:D

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've had a blast with modeling amps in the past. I don't think I'd use one live but they are capable of sounding great, particularly when recorded. They can sound really good live too...but they take a LOT of tweaking; too much for me. Ultimately, they don't respond/feel like tubes but if you can get used to that, they can be a lot of fun.

The amp I'd like to hear more about, once people start using them, is the new H&K Switchblade. It's a tube amp with built-in DSP which is MIDI controllable. In fact, the amps levels and EQ were MIDI-controllable too IIRC. I heard it demoed at the LA Amp Show and the thing sounded great. MikeyG has one coming in. How's it goin Mike?

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've switched to modeling amps, after 30 plus years of tubes. I started with an early '50's Fender Deluxe, and finished with a 2002 Mesa/Boogie. I had a Roland Cube 30, before the 60 came out. I tired of it in about 6 months. I currently have a Vox AD50VT, from North Coast Music, with black Vox grill cloth. I like the sound, It gives you better control of the effects, than the Roland's, but wish that it had a line out like the Cube 60.

I play large shows, professionally, and do not use the modeling amps. The sound company usually has Twin Reverbs, for me to use. I use a Zoom G2 modeling pedal, so that can get the sound and effects, that I am used to. This let's me get the same sound, at any level, because it takes the amp's sweet spot out of the equation. For practice, or when I'm without the sound company, I run it through a Peavey Transtube, or a powered mixer with a 4X10 guitar cabinet.

The G2 is a $99 unit, that can due more than the modeling amps. All I need is a clean amp, or even a PA, if worst comes to worst. The best thing about it, is that I can get the same sound, from bedroom levels, to outdoor concerts.

17. trisonic

trisonic Member

Hey, I'm getting one for Father's Day - I be real hardcore valveaholic too.

Best, Pete.:worried

18. 908SSP

908SSP Member

They are great like toilet paper disposable. :)

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I posted some thoughts on the Switchblade here http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=147224&highlight=switchblade

It's a good value for $1299. But it's not a modeling amp. I don't hear much in there but pristine clean, and various decades of Marshall. It sounds pretty good. Way better than the Peavey JSX, in the same ballpark dollarwise.

The interesting thing is that it gets loads of gain with only two 12AX7s. The theory going around is that there's something else in there generating some gain.

I think I'd opt for a Vetta instead, really.... for a couple hunnerd more.

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Mike - so it's really the dearth of very different sounding amp models that you find "lacking" compared to modelers?

Do you also find the switchblade to be sort of "thin" sounding, as the other poster in the thread you referenced?