Modeling Amps????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teddys, Jun 15, 2005.

1. teddys

teddys Member

Hello All,

Is there a thread on modeling amps:

After haring Frankenstrats Vetta, plus his analog
    "WOMB OF SOUND"

I am interested in a modeling amps that is fairly simple to use for home use.

Thanks

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've spent years using modelers. My latest favorite is the GNX series. But, BUT, as of a few weeks ago, I've come to realize that at this point, they cannot compete (for me!!) with tube amps and now I'm only using tube amps. I use the modeler in loops with models off, just for dly, chorus, vol, and wah. Either I have fallen or the modeler has fallen from grace for me. They sound good, but don't seem to have that je ne sais qua of a good tube amp. ymmv...........

A couple of months ago, I would have been happy to use my modeler to go head to head with a tube amp. Not at this point. Ch ch ch changes......................:rolleyes:

For modelers though, the GNX is great. I prefer if over the POD, Vox, and older Boss's. Haven't played with the GT8 and at this point probably won't any time soon.

jon

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Find a used Yamaha DG series amp - they go for a song since discontinued and sound very nice...

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

With all due respect Wayne, and great minds and ears may differ, but I couldn't wait to dump the Yamaha DG I picked up a couple of years ago. It was just awful, imho, ymmv, etc...... ;)

jon

btw, I have two GNX modelers. The GNX2, which I'll continue to use in my loops and have as a backup at gigs (if the tube amp dumps, take the modeler out of the loop, run patches with models ON, run that into one of my Stewart power amps into the speaker in the tube amp cab, disconnected from the amp - it's a great backup system in a pinch. The only thing I have to bring extra in my gig bag is the power amp, which is tiny). I also have a GNX3, which has a built in recorder that works very well and I'm going to sell that, if you're interested. Minty, and great price. I'd leave my killer patches on it.

5. dazco

dazco Member

As Aspen Pittman once said, "it's not that SS don't sound good, it's that they don't FEEL good". IMHO thats the whole ball of wax right there, and not just SS but digital and modeling or any non-tube generated tone with both pre and power sections.

Thats said tho, at home i find digital to be a worthy alternative for very low volume use and recording. But for the love of god, please don't make me do a gig with it !!! It may work for some, but for me it's torture.

6. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I have a POD 2.0 and a PODxt. The 2.0 sounds better for live use through the power section of a tube amp, and the XT sounds better for direct recording. Both are great for their versatility and fun factor, but by no means a replacement for a real tube amp. I used to have a Digitech RP2000, and it was pretty bad. I'm sure the newer ones sound better, but it just sounded too digital/fake.

7. myles111

myles111 Member

I have a bit on these types of amps on my website at

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/line6.html

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Interesting question. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a single news group or forum dedicated to modeling amps in general. It would be cool if one were started somewhere. Just about all the major manufacturers (Boss, DigiTech, Line6, ...) have their own forums on their sites. I have some links on my site (below) pointing to these.

Like a couple other folks have mentioned, I've used both tube amps and modeler (DigiTech GNX-2) and prefer the tube amp for feel and expression. The the advantage of the modeler is wider versatility (broad palette of sounds in one box) and ease of carrying around. I tend to use it as a back up to my tube amp when playing out, or for recording at home for convenience (still prefer a mic'ed tube amp for the feel).

9. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

If you are looking for an amp and not a a floor processor with modeling, I would check out the Line 6 Duoverb. It is no longer made but plenty around. The duoverb is a stripped down vetta, no effects and fewer models. The controls are all standard dials that you twist, no fancy interface. If you add the FBV shortboard you get more available presets. You can edit the software using a free program called patchmanager. This amp is quite capable of excellent tone. Some people have used VHT Valvulators in front to give the amp more "feel".
    ArnieZ

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>I've spent years using modelers. My latest favorite is the GNX series. But, BUT, as of a few weeks ago, I've come to realize that at this point, they cannot compete (for me!!) with tube amps and now I'm only using tube amps<<

I am a broken record. I say the same stuff over and over when it comes to modelers.

11. teddys

teddys Member

I Thank you all for the info

:)

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Simple, cheap, but good modelling amp for home use that I own and recommend. Roland Cube 30. Simple but not so cheap modelling amp I recommend at a gig - Fender blackface Super Reverb. What model is that? An awesome model I say.

13. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

14. MattB

MattB Member

Check out the Hughes & Kettner Zentera... HOLY SCHMOKES!

15. teddys

teddys Member

Womb of Sound?

Frankenstrat, I need to clarify the above.

Whilst jamming at Barry's last week, there was a Vetta there that had the patches to sound like pretty much anything its programmed to do. Hence my question about modeling amps.

The WOMB OF SOUND reference was B.'s 3 amp rig:
    Fuchs SLX, Stark Fire amp & Tweed Deluxe (original)
    I have never quite heard a sound like that from a live rig.

The WOMB??= it was warm, comfortable, totally immersed and enveloped your whole body and spirit;
    ie: THE BEST F'N home/llve set up I have ever heard.

At the end of a fun jam, I told Barry , Its the Womb of Sound.

The playing and company contibuted to the vibe, but his tone was without equal IMO.
    :dude

16. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

:eek:
    I think of it as the 'Wall of Shame...'
    I'm glad you had fun.
    Its cool to be a retired hacker and have 9 holes in the basement.

17. teddys

teddys Member

Why???????????????

Because your gear puts most other to shame?:D

18. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Hall of Fame- Wall of Shame

Its a shame it takes all those great amps to make a hack like me sound reasonably good.
    Whenever I plug in I have to remember that I'm playing guitar through my wife's new kitchen that we never re-did.
    :D

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Womb of Sound. Love it :dude

20. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I prefer the 'Sound Womb'.
    Like Babawa Wawa
    In a Womb of Sound I might just want to curl up and suck my thumb.
    In a Sound Womb I would plug in a curly cord and if I suck, who cares?

Q. If a gear nut plugs 1 guitar into 5 amps on 7 for 2.5 hours and 0 other people are home to hear 3 wine glasses breaking upstairs as they rattle off the shelf, and he cleans up the broken glass before anyone comes home.....
    Did he really make a sound?

:confused: