Modeling Rig Power Amp???

adagosto

Hello all,

Can someone explain this to me????

I have a Line 6 Amplifi Table Top. Great little unit. I also marry it up with the MKII Shortboard and have great control over the tones and effects.

I have always played the Amplifi through an regular amplifier and it's speakers, but I was wondering if it would be a good rig to run the Table Top device into a Tube Power Amp (something like a Mesa Fifty), then run that power amp to a speaker cabinet (FRFR or otherwise standard cabinet).

I don't think you can go directly into a passive speaker cabinet and you'll have to power it some how, so why not power it with a tube amp? Wouldn't that warm up the tone a bit?

Can someone explain if I'm on the right track or lost or missing the point or whatever you have to say is fine.

rsm

I'd think you'd want some kind of passive PA speaker cab, FRFR as possible. Not sure if you can defeat the amp in the AMPLIFi models, I haven't tried with my FX100 which I run into an active system directly, so I need the amp/cab/mic set. If you can turn off the amp, you could run into any guitar amp's power section bypassing the preamp...if you can't turn off the amp model, you'll have a simulated/modeled amp into another guitar power amp...may need to tweak your settings.

adagosto

So I can currently connect my Table Top into my Mesa Boogie Express and bypass the Mesa preamp and use just the power section of the Express. This works well. It sounds pretty damn good to. I'd venture to guess, if I had a FRFR speaker, it would sound even better. BUT...all I am essentally doing is using the 80 pound monster Mesa for its power section.

If I could get a separate power amp (tube or SS) AND it be small and light weight, the Table Top/power amp/1x12 cabinet would make for a very light weight and portable gigging rig.

But I just wanted to make sure this actually makes sense.

Trending Topics