Modeling with a Powered Monitor

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mrspag, Apr 25, 2016.

1. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Not wrong at all. You will never get a traditional guitar amp backline experience from a wedge. Just not ever going to happen. Best not to suggest anyone will so they can adapt to the experience of full range powered speakers or other non traditional amplification means.

Our co guitarist problem is the sales person that sold him on the wedges said he would get the same traditional backline experience. Total BS. I told him and others in the band that use modelers and wedges said the same thing. Don't expect it to be at all like your basic backline. Use it as it is intended and work it from there.

2. phel21

phel21 Member

I don't agree. The two 12" active wedges (Dynacord) that I normally put in front and/or to the side of me also work well upright as a "mini stack" in a backline for occasions where there is no PA-rig available.

jimfist likes this.
  3. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

While I would agree a wedge or monitor isn't the same sound, the point jimfist made is many players have just as rewarding an experience using them, and I clearly agree with that. Is it different? Absolutely. But for me it's actually better. I like the improved clarity, precision, and articulation I get in the sound from my powered monitor, and it cuts through the mix much better without having to increase the volume, and that allows me to blend better with the rest of the band. So just because it doesn't give the same experience as a traditional backline, doesn't inherently mean it's a bad thing for everyone. In some cases it's better.

jimfist likes this.
  4. jimfist

jimfist Member

- vvvvv this was the statement I was responding to vvvv -

Aside from moving the goal posts (now we're comparing a wedge to a back line?), your entire response is a "qualified statement" that is loaded with preconceptions and expectations, which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

In the end, whatever works for you. Have fun!

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Yes I've seen this report. We're running such a low stage volume, that I don't think this is an issue for me. I am thinking of leaving the CLR at home, and just using the IEM's in both ears, but I won't get a correct reference of my guitar this way, I would just have to trust my ears and the sound guy. In the end, it always sounds the same out front, kind of like a well mixed record, so I'm not too worried.

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I've seen you guys before in Cleve when I visit. Funny part is the DJ on your breaks is louder than you guys, so why would there be a problem bumping up? Of course you don't have an acoustic drummer to contend with.

Bikedude likes this.
  7. mrspag

mrspag Member

Which dynacord wedges do you use? I'm very interested in getting my own monitor to use with the pa, or to use as a backline when we don't use the full pa.

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

It's always a struggle with management in there. Every time we get the JBL's cookin, we get funny looks from the Manager. We try to go with the flow. Say hi next time we're there if you get a chance, I'll be trying my Helix this time 6/21-7/1

9. johnnymegabyte

johnnymegabyte Member

QUESTION: is a Tech 21 Power Engine considered a Powered Monitor ?

10. phel21

phel21 Member

I use a pair of Dynacord AXM 12As. It's a wide-dispersion speaker, but I would try to raise it a couple feet off the floor if I were to use one alone upright in a backline and would be standing close to it. No different than with a 1x12 combo amp really. With two there are more options, like one on top of the other in the backline, or one in the backline and one as a wedge. They are also work great as FR PA-speakers for small acoustic events.

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

It's powered, and folks use it to monitor but its guitar cab-like frequency response would make me say "no".