Modeller for headphones

Hello community,

I am a casual bedroom player in search for a better sound. Right now I am playing through a Boss katana Mini through headphones 95% of the time. Due to my living situation I can't have a stack, or combo amp. So I narrowed it down to digital modelling.
I am looking at the Hotone Ampero. Does anyone know about the headphones out sound quality. I am thinking for a simple chain like guitar--> Ampero --> headphones out. I have the Sennheiser HD 598 for reference.

Is the Ampero an overkill for the usage I am planning?
Would I be able to tell the difference between that and a more affordable unit (GE200)?

should I wait for the Ampero one MP-80 which seems to be an even smaller solution?

Thank you in advance.

Theorist

Silver Supporting Member
No experience with Ampero, my favorite headphone solution is Amplitube either on a laptop or an iPad using a usb interface or an irig.

NPP

depending on what you can afford to spend I wouldn't think in terms of 'overkill' for something you use for 95% of your playing time. It will be your main rig, and you'll appreciate a good-sounding unit whether you use a lot of effects and different amp models or end up gravitating towards a single amp and IR combination with just a bit of room reverb for most of your playing (as I do).

I was in a similar situation to you last year and went for the HX Stomp - overkill in a sense, but it does sound good, is small, comes with an interface to work with my computer, and can replace all my pedals when I'm playing through a real amp.

That said, I would have regarded the price of a full Helix, Kemper or similar unit as too high for my needs and reflected for almost a year before deciding to get the Stomp.

How much are you looking to spend?
Below 400 euros. I think more than that is an overkill for my usage.

Never seen this before. WIll check it out, thank you.

No experience with Ampero, my favorite headphone solution is Amplitube either on a laptop or an iPad using a usb interface or an irig.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't possess a usb inteface or any Apple products. I believe this is route will be harder.

Pod Go, due out very soon, seems like it would fit the bill perfect for you.
I considered that, but it seems its price is not gonna be very budget friendly (€ 479 from € 579 right now at Thomann).

depending on what you can afford to spend I wouldn't think in terms of 'overkill' for something you use for 95% of your playing time. It will be your main rig, and you'll appreciate a good-sounding unit whether you use a lot of effects and different amp models or end up gravitating towards a single amp and IR combination with just a bit of room reverb for most of your playing (as I do).

I was in a similar situation to you last year and went for the HX Stomp - overkill in a sense, but it does sound good, is small, comes with an interface to work with my computer, and can replace all my pedals when I'm playing through a real amp.

That said, I would have regarded the price of a full Helix, Kemper or similar unit as too high for my needs and reflected for almost a year before deciding to get the Stomp.
Thank you for the perspective, I really understand what you're saying. My only heavy bottleneck is the headphone usage, so I'm afraid I won't (?) be able to appreciate the better unit that much. But it's kind of hard to find headphones out sound quality reviews.

Emigre

The Zoom units have a good balance between sound, features, and price.

And how about the Boss GT-1?

Finally the new Yamaha THR units might be in your budget.

Unfortunately the sound itself is very much down to personal preferences so it's best to have a listen in person. I have a limited experience with headphones on a Zoom G3 and the THR10 and I thought they sounded pretty good.

For reference, I recently bought a Katana Air, I don't like it as much on 'phones as the other 2 devices but it's early days & still have a lot of dialling in to do.

NPP

Thank you for the perspective, I really understand what you're saying. My only heavy bottleneck is the headphone usage, so I'm afraid I won't (?) be able to appreciate the better unit that much. But it's kind of hard to find headphones out sound quality reviews.
it depends on whether you are determined to dislike playing through headphones on principle, as some on here are, or whether you can make it work. If the latter, there's definitely a difference between basic and better units, both in terms of the amp and cab modelling as such and in terms of the effects that allow you to play around with reverbs and delays and create a room feeling. I had a PockedPod for years but found it very frustrating as I couldn't get a pleasant sound out of it - everything sounded plinky-plonky and weak. The Stomp has lots of pleasant sounds in it, even through my fairly basic Sennheiser phones.

it depends on whether you are determined to dislike playing through headphones on principle, as some on here are, or whether you can make it work. If the latter, there's definitely a difference between basic and better units, both in terms of the amp and cab modelling as such and in terms of the effects that allow you to play around with reverbs and delays and create a room feeling. I had a PockedPod for years but found it very frustrating as I couldn't get a pleasant sound out of it - everything sounded plinky-plonky and weak. The Stomp has lots of pleasant sounds in it, even through my fairly basic Sennheiser phones.
Oh no, not at all. Playing through headphones is something I've been doing for a while now with the Katana Mini. I use headphones for more than 12 hours a day. I'm really used to the whole feeling. Thanks for the input about the stomp. I assume the HD598 can push these sounds well. They have very good note separation.

KCNC

If you don't mind using a PC, both bias amp 2 and bias FX 2 both sound great through headphones.
Using the tone cloud you can also download thousands of amps for no charge. They also have the Spark available, though I wouldn't recommend it, others appear to like it. There's a separate thread on the forum for that.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't possess a usb inteface or any Apple products. I believe this is route will be harder. ...

I bought an IK Axe I/O interface, it has excellent headphone and guitar circuitry, and it came with a free copy of Amplitube 4 Deluxe which has some great amp and effect
modeling in it. That would solve your lack of an interface, opening up numerous new avenues for guitar playing and give you a quality headphone signal source.

Briandress

if you are using headphones most often then I definitely recommend that you go the laptop route only for the reason that you can use Sonarworks 4 headphone eq profile correction and you can use goodhertz can opener crosstalk algorithm to get some really nice space in between the headphones. If you already have a laptop i would recommend a budget interface from a great company MOTU. the new M2 has insane specifications for the price. I cannot think of an interface available at that price point with the same quality converters or rtl that I have ever seen. game changer @JiveTurkey

As far as headphones are concerned i can never recommend enough the sennheiser hd58x from drop.com
Drop does these limited runs with manufactures that some how works out to you getting super quality at stupid prices. Definitely check them out. My sessions have been light years ahead of where they used to be in terms of comfort and sound when I added the Sonarworks and Goodhertz plugins and switched from AUdio Technica ATH M40x to the Sennheiser HD58x. I can wear those mother ****ers all day and they are comfy as hell

Edit: just saw you said that you have hd598s so youre in a great spot with those. definitely get Sonarworks 4 so you can run an eq correction for your headphones at the end of your chain. Once I did that my plugins came to life as never before and i truly enjoy playing in cans now

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I learnt many interesing options that I didn't know existed, like the AXE I/O. Now, I have no DAW experience, and everytime I make an effort, it seems so complicated and technical, and due to my occupation I cannot invest any time on that. I will stick to a more traditional plug 'n play format. An amp head (lunchbox) into a load box/cab sim pedal into headphones would do it, but it's going to be expensive and rather bulky (will have to move eventually). So I will stick to a multifx unit will good amp sims into direct headphones out. I also checked this format of thinking at the Positive grid Spark amp. Seems like a nice tool with many sounds and all these backing track capabilities. Anyone has checked them out?

enakki

I was in the same situation as you are. Tried lot of things. What I hate is dependency on software so starting computer and software is no go for me. I have the same headphones as you do. Katana has mono headphone ms out if I am correct so it does not sound good. I have also Vox Adio which sounds nice but is limited from the effects perspective. Finally I bought HX stomp and I am absolutely satisfied with the sound quality, tone possibilities and its practicality. It takes other pedals flawlessly. I would recommend getting the stomp. You’ll get all you need it is portable, you can use it with other pedals or amp in future and you can use it as audio interface too if needed for recording. I know it is above your budget but once you get it you’re done. No need to fiddle no need to buy other gear. So it may save you money in future. You can setup eq, use IR’s place a room reverb for more pleasant sound through the headphones. Get the stomp. You will love it.

Emigre

Laptop & interface can sound great but the rabbit hole and faff factor is off the charts IMO..

I'll happily trade off a fraction off of my tone for plug and play-ability.

Rexfordbridge

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've read om this forum and other forums that the headphone out on the line 6 units does not sound great. Has that been other's experience?

Last edited:

Trending Topics