Modeller, FRFR and EQ

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hobbystuff, Jan 24, 2012.

1. hobbystuff

hobbystuff Supporting Member

I'm a P&W player, used to play with an amp and pedalboard but decided to start using my digital setup instead. Waaaay easier in the settings I play in.

So, here is my question. How are you all setting up your MFX units? I use an RP1000, 1/4" out to my new EV EXL112P powered speaker (this was a big step up from my previous unit) and XLR out to the mixer for FOH.

Sometimes I wish I had a bit more EQ control than the RP1000 gives me, so I have been contemplating putting an EQ pedal into the stomp loop and using that to help configure my sound into the EV, and the mixer channel EQ for FOH.

Mostly I want the EQ to help tune what I hear in the powered monitor (lows and highs), although if the EQ pedal is in the stomp loop, it will also affect the XLR out to the mixer. Would I be better putting the EQ pedal between the 1/4" out on the MFX and the speaker - thereby it only affects the powered speaker? Leave the XLR outs alone?

I guess I am just looking for some suggestions on how others do it to allow fine tuning and flexibility.

Thanks.

2. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I have a Mackie 1202VLZ that I'll sometimes use and it works great for extra eq, aux, I/O etc.

3. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

I just use the headphones out to monitor (in ears).

I'd suggest any EQ of your sound through the FOH to be done at the board and separate the EQ used for your monitors... Why don't you try the EQ pedal on your 1/4 out to monitor?

4. hobbystuff

I'm thinking this is the way I should go... EQ on the 1/4" out to the monitor, which will adjust my sound but leave XLR FOH to the mixing board EQ.

5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, this is the best. Leave FOH flat as the board already should have lots of EQ control available.

6. hobbystuff

An added advantage is my EQ pedal has an overall level control on it, so I could fine tune the monitor level without dumpster diving behind the speaker.....while not affecting FOH.