Modelling Experts ... need a prescription!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by soggybottomboy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

I'm looking to move on from my Roland Cube 80XL. I think (hope) my needs are simple.

I want a blackface clean with reverb and slapback delay. I'll be playing semi's and tele-'s channeling Ted Greene and Les Paul (think Princeton blackface).

I'd like a usable "blonde" Setzer style tone (Showman blonde tweed).

I wouldn't mind an 80s metal "crunch" for fun once in a while (5150).

I'm not a tweaker -- 3 usable tones is plenty for me.

I'd like a mini-plug input for the system so I can play iRealB or backing tracks from my iPad into the rig and practice.

I want to spend around $1-1.5k in total -- I'd sure prefer new stuff if possible.

I have a Redstone Audio 1x12" cabinet that I can use, but I'm not adverse to selling that and going with a powered FRFR wedge (it's probably easier).

I want minimal background noise -- no fans in the speakers, no hiss, no bs. This is key for me -- the Roland was silent and I'm really sensitive to hum, etc... makes me nuts.

I'll use this at home 90% of the time, but I have two regular monthly gigs where I'll have to cart it all. The setup needs to handle small bar jazz volume levels (meaning competing with a tasteful drummer, horns, etc). Compact is a big deal for me.

So should I be looking at the Fly Rig and a QSC K10? Atomic Amplifire and a lesser powered cab? Let me know!

Thanks!

2. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Amplifire + EV ZLX12P = $998
    Amplifire + Atomic CLR = $1598
    Zoom G3X + Alto TS112A = $498

Lots of choices and most of them are good!

3. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

Can you confirm that all of those powered FRFR's are silent/fan-free models? Thanks so much!

4. RLD

RLD Member

I've been gigging small clubs with a Zoom G3X and Alto TS112A for a couple years now.
    It's a good, inexpensive modeling setup with a small foot print.
    I now have an Amplifire which is definitely a step up from the Zoom.
    It works great with the Alto which would keep you well under $1K.
    Alto has a fan but I never notice it.
    I also have a CLR which is fan-less but cost $1K.

5. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

Thanks, RLD. Do you use this setup to practice with at home as well?

6. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Your requirements accurately describe a Fender Mustang III (or IV or V). You'll be very happy with its blackface and blonde tones, and it gets into 80's metal territory just fine.

The III is plenty, plenty loud for small bars. Swap in your speaker of choice, add the foot controller, and be done.

7. RLD

RLD Member

Sure...I set it up in my music room/studio, break it down for 1 trip carry to rehearsals /gigs.
    Mustang III is worth looking into.
    I had one...didn't bond with it, but lots of people do.

8. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I agree with RLD. The Alto does have a fan, but it isn't noticable...very quiet.
    I don't have hands on experience with the other two, but they are often used for modeling. I'm planning on getting a CLR to pair with my Amplifire, but it will have to wait a bit.
    I can also confirm that the Fender Mustang III may very well be what you want. I had a Mustang IV for a while and it is an impressive package.

9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I am a huge Line 6 fanboi... but you are describing the Fender Mustang that slugworth mentions above to a T. I'd look at that first.

10. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

At risk of looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, isn't the Mustang a Roland Cube in a different suit of clothing? Or it's going to do something more for me?

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I really don't know. I just know that the things you describe are stuff that the Mustang is really really good at.

12. RLD

RLD Member

You really have to try this stuff for yourself.
    No one can tell you what's going to work for you.
    I tried the Mustang 3. It definitely wasn't as good as my G3X, IMO.
    Now I have an Amplifire which is better than the G3X, so IMO it's much better than a Mustang, but that is just how I see it.
    Lots of people have different views.

13. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Yes, the Mustang is really, really good at what you described. It covers all of the Fender clean/clean-ish styles extremely well. There's a lot more to the Mustang III/IV/V than the Roland Cubes. The Cubes, to me, are really good at JC-120 cleans and modern high gain, but they can't touch the Mustang for what you want. I've owned a Zoom G3 and G5, and also an Amplifire. The G3X and Amplifire have nothing on the Mustang for Fender cleans.

If I were you, I would at least try to spend some time with one (and not in a music store). You sound dead set on spending over $1000, but you really might be pleasantly surprised at how far you can get with $300. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a Mustang III and foot controller in great used shape for $200, and then another $100 for a broken-in speaker upgrade, or a used Zoom G3 to play around with.

14. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

This is great advice. It costs me practically nothing to "test run" a Mustang III and so I will -- cheers!

15. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

Go for it. I would like to add that, for me, the Mustang III feels like a real tube amp when playing it. I have not experienced real amp feel with other inexpensive modelers that I have tried.

16. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Another vote for the Fender Mustang line of products. Any of the amps or the Mustang Floor modeler with a separate cabinet or PA monitor. I've tried mine with the Mackie DLM12 ($800 & only weighs about 30 lbs) and was pleased with the results.

Check out this thread with embedded YouTube video to hear what the Mustang Floor can do plugged straight into a PA in a live band context. Not my video or thread, by the way, but I think it really sells what this $199 floor board can do.

17. Fuzzboat

Fuzzboat Member

if "90% is at home playing"

Postive Grid Bias or S-Gear is perfect (I'm using Bias)

been playing for decades flipping amps never finding those
    classic "just like the album" tones I lusted after ( not to mention
    over 2 decades of wasted time and money - that I could have spent
    practicing !!)

from the 1st time I plugged in to BIAS was instant gratification