1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Modern amps for Kossoff tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by panhead5, May 21, 2011.

1. panhead5

panhead5 Member

Now I'm not a newb but The Allright now guitar tone 40 years later gives me chills.I posted this same query on the Plexi Palace forum a couple of years ago and had some great Marshall responses which is fine but I'm wondering what gear other guys are currently using.

Mind you I don't play much like Koss or have the vibrato but man does that tone sound good !!!

Also clips are good if you know good ones or think you got it down .

2. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

My old Black Flag Clone (Fillmore) by Germino is an AWESOME amp for Kossoff tones:

4. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Kossoff tone- Old les Paul>guitar cord>old Marshall stack cranked>passion>addiction...and timing. That was a long time ago.

5. Roe

Roe Member

yes, a 67 100w

6. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

My Mesa TransAtlantic cops that sound really well. Use less gain than you think you need, and wiggle the hell out of the note with vibrato get increased sustain.

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Germino nails it. you gotta supply the vibrato though :)

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the secret to the PK sound (besides his truly inimitable vibrato technique) is a big, loud, cleanish amp. Everyone always suggests Marshalls because that's what he played through. All the contemporary amps that are more or less Marshalls will put you right smack in the neighborhood. Another alternative might be something like an Orange Retro 50. Set it relatively clean, turn it way up, you'll get right into the same neighborhood with a somewhat different character.

9. gtone

gtone Member

Not a modern amp, but I'm amazed at how close I can get to Kossoff's "All Right Now" tone with 'buckers (middle toggle position, 75% neck volume, 100% bridge) straight into a '51 5A3 Deluxe's main input, volume at about 6 out of 12, tone at 10. Magical, woody overtones and gobs of warm, singing sustain.

10. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

For some reason, most use too much gain when emulating PK (and Malcom Young as well). Compression is not your friend when trying to cop some tones from these Tone Gods.

Les Paul -> JTM45-or tweed-ish amp, NOT DIMED about 60-75% up) into Greenbacks.

I can even get my Tweaker to give up a very convincing PK tone in the "brit" setting.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

One really important part of that old school equation are the old pre-Rola speakers. I have a '69 Marshall 4x12 and THAT is a huge part of the tone. They just sound much different than any modern speaker.

Add a great Marshall/Germino and don't play with too much gain.

12. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I believe his speakers used 55hz cones.

Charvel951 likes this.
  13. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

If you want a low wattage monster that does the trick check out the BC Audio No. 7. Clips on you tube or via www.bcaudio.com.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yep, mine has the 014 bass cones and cops that type of tone.

Surprisingly, the old speakers aren't very loud, which is a good thing.

15. panhead5

panhead5 Member

I've got a 70's era g12 h30 55 hz slant front cab and truthfully I can't hear it with those speakers .too much high end ,but it might be me.

Gat --I have a strong tendency to agree with you on the pre rola cab and speaker choice .Proibably need to check out the Scumback offerings !!!

16. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Interesting tips from guys who have been there ( or close ).

Are some of the Cab IRs now good enough with the right amp padded down to line level etc. or even a good tube pre into Cab Impulses ?

Or is this one of those things where you've really got to crank it and move some air - even to get close ?

17. Roe

Roe Member

I prefer 75hz

18. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

75 or 76, whatever it takes.