Modern Drummer festival

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
This year's festival is a Neil Peart extravaganza tribute, which doesn't appeal to me, as I wasn't a Rush fan. I used to go to the MD Festival every year, both Saturday and Sunday, and after a number of times, it just got old listening to a bunch of drummers soloing. I did win a few cool door prizes, including a Tama hi-hat stand.

I stopped reading Modern Drummer a good ten/twelve years ago or more, and dumped almost all my back issues in the recycling bin at the county dump last winter. You can only keep so much stuff. I still have another pile to discard.

Last edited:

Redub

Supporting Member
This year's festival is a Neil Peart extravaganza tribute, which doesn't appeal to me, as I wasn't a Rush fan. I used to go to the MD Festival every year, both Saturday and Sunday, and after a number of times, it just got old listening to a bunch of drummers soloing. I did win a few cool door prizes, including a Tama hi-hat stand.

I stopped reading Modern Drummer a good ten/twelve years ago or more, and dumped almost all my back issues in the recycling bin at the county dump last winter. You can only keep so much stuff. I still have another pile to discard.
Weird - I just tried the link again and it seems stuck downloading too. It might be that too many people are hitting it at once. I receive the link via the Rush newsletter email sent out this morning.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, it wouldn't download for me. Not a problem.

I think dedicating an entire festival to one drummer is a bit extreme, but Neil Peart has a lot of fans in the drumming community.

Last edited:

Redub

Supporting Member
Yeah, it wouldn't download for me. Not a problem.

I think dedicating an entire festival to one drummer is a bit extreme, but Neil Peart has a lot of fans in the drumming community.
Looks like the link is working again.

Hulakatt

Supporting Member
I've been playing drums for over 25 years and the one thing I've learned is that listening to drummers without the context of the song is, for the most part, boring as h3ll.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
I've been playing drums for over 25 years and the one thing I've learned is that listening to drummers without the context of the song is, for the most part, boring as h3ll.
Some drummers would bring their bands with them, but the majority of drummers just came out, played a long solo and answered questions. It got old after several years. I'd fall asleep occasionally by late Sunday afternoon.

There were some cool moments though. I was brought up onstage for a percussion jam with Stephen Perkins. I met a lot of drummers, including Gregg Bissonette, who was very nice, and Vinnie Colaiuta, who acted like a douche. Louie Bellson and I had a long conversation and his big band was killer. One incident that caused a stir was the time Tony Williams insulted some guy in the audience who questioned one of Tony's theories on stick rebound. There was silence in the hall. I almost stood up and called him out!

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Supporting Member
I remember meeting Louie Bellson when I was in HS, he had such a soft handshake and seemed like such a humble man.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
I remember meeting Louie Bellson when I was in HS, he had such a soft handshake and seemed like such a humble man.
Louie Bellson was one the nicest, most gracious human beings who ever lived. We met and talked several times. The weekend I saw him at the MD festival, he and his wife, Francine, had a table in the hallway and Louie was totally approachable, signing autographs and talking with everyone. On the contrary, A-Hole Colaiuta was walking around with an armed guard who was pushing people away. Then, Louie went onstage with his big band and blew all the other younger drummers appearing that weekend away.

Cool Bellson story from that weekend: A young teenage kid was talking with Louie and told him he wished he could buy one of Louie's cassettes, but he didn't have the money. Louie slipped him a $10 bill and said, "Buy a cassette and don't tell my wife." True story. That's the kind of guy Louie was.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
My wife is a Rush zealot and we ordered this.It's boring.Lot's of drummer jerking off over triplets and quads.:rolleyes:
I can imagine.That would bore me to tears. My drummer friend John is a major Rush fan and saw them live something like 63 times. He met Alex and Geddy any number of times, but Peart never ever mingled with fans. He was supposedly very shy.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
John was a huge Peart fan and was always disappointed that he never met him. When Peart died, I immediately called John and he was so upset, he had to lay off work that day.

Trending Topics