Modern Eagle has landed!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Feb 24, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Got my ME, and here are some impressions after an extended road test. Wow. This is my 6th PRS, and only one at this time. While all PRS's exude quality, this one is on another level. They have absolutely set the bar higher. Major flame top (mine's 'Old Natural') with a full Braz. rosewood neck. I chose a stoptail.
    As a former bicycle mechanic, I've always embraced the principle that the highest quality products respond the most readily, directly, and precisely to any adjustments. The ME epitomizes that. Out of this world build quality. Very rewarding to tweek it.
    It is as 'alive' a guitar as I've ever played. This thing is fully involved on each pluck, as though it is one single piece of wood. The Braz. neck surely contributes to this, but the rest, including the thin nitro finish, is surely a factor. Amazing sustain, resonance galore. Mine's a hair over 8 lbs., which seems an ideal weight for this model.
    Soundwise, I haven't yet been able to extract a weak tone from it. PRS obviously did their homework on the pickups and wood combinations. Even the split tones on this are rich and well defined (not the case on other PRS's I've owned).
    A final 'acid test' test for me is whether I would consider buying another of the same guitar. I'm already contemplating the color!
    So if you're wondering if the ME is worth the big $$, rest assured, it is. I predict that this will not only prove to be a benchmark and template for the future of PRS, it will become one of the classics of all guitardom. AC

2. goodtone

goodtone Member

Congratulations on your Modern Eagle ! I played the Eaqle and a beautiful Blue Mateo Hollowbody ll (Artist Package) and wished I could take both home. Both had great necks. How does the Hollowbody ll compare to the Modern Eagle ?

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

AaeCee,

nice report. It didn't help my desire to be done buying guitars.;) I figured after my Thorn Singlecut is done, so am I.

None the less, thanks for sharing and getting me thinking. I'm glad I can't afford it right now.:D

4. Izy

Izy Member

AaaCee,

Nice one! How about some pics to make us envy you even more?

And paintguy, my sentiments are exactly like yours. Saw Ron's work and was impressed. Saving but i think after that my guitar buying days would be over.

(fingers crossed) :)

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Izy,

Ron's guitars play and sound as nice as they look. I'm about 1/2 through the 12-14 month wait.

I'm pretty sure it will end my quest for the ultimate guitar. Besides, the other 14 I have keep me busy waiting on Ron's.

I am unloading a bunch though due to my current situation and that fact I want to have 4-6 guitars total.You know, variety and certain niches that have to be filled.:D

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'll get some pics up soon as I get the patience to figure out how. I've got a real love/hate thing with computers.
    It's so different from the HB. Sustains till tomorrow, and has a thick soildbody sound...much more projection. Like a good LP in that regard. The thing that amazed me most was the way the whole guitar seems to involve itself in each note. No dead spots in the tonal spectrum. It's just so alive, especially for a solid. And again, the pickups are the best from PRS I've ever experienced.
    And sorry for stirring up the ME lust, guys. You should get one too...misery loves company! ;) AC

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations AaeCee on your ME! Sounds like the guitar and you have definitely bonded. I love PRS and currently still own two of the many I have had over the years, but I too have been eyeing the Modern Eagles lately.

Last week I was in OK City where I had a chance to play one at a great music store called Dancing Dragon. What made this especially challenging is that their only ME was exactly the color I would want with a super top. It was definitely a cool piece that played very well right out of the case. I was the first person to play it (so they said). Compared to my Custom 22 Artist (one of my top guitars) it was very nice and felt very comfortable. I liked the Braz board and the pickups as well. In fact I pretty much agree with all of your comments, but I was a little handicapped in that I was in a store and playing through amps not at all like my Two Rock or Matchless, so giving it a full test run was not an option. Still - it was very nice and definitely one of the top guitars I have played.

So - congratulations again - now I'll shut up and you go play your guitar!

8. Madcap

Madcap Member

Hello AaeCee,
    Congratulations on your new Modern Eagle !!
    Please would you be so kind to let me ask you for just three questions:
    1) Did you compare the stoptail version with the trem version ?
    2) If yes, does the trem version have more sustain than the stoptail one ?
    3) Tone-wise, what are the differences between the trem version and the stoptail version ?

Thank you so much indeed for your kind and experienced opinion and your friendly help (..unluckily I don't have the chance to test a Modern Eagle nearby..) ;-)

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Unfortunately no. I don't use trems. But there are quite a few guys on GP who have compared, and some own both. Start a thread to address that...you'll get some takers. AC