Modern Gain Pedal Selection Help

msl5078

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking for some suggestions on a good pedal to cover modern gain stuff that can also overlap into some 80s. My cover band just picked up a new singer and drummer, and we are dramatically changing our setlist from being classic rock focused. Our singer prefers modern stuff and some 80s, bands she cites are Paramore, Fall out boy, and bon jovi to name a few. Our drummer is stuck in 1990-93 and loves STP, Alice in Chains stuff, and all that good stuff.

I currently have a bunch of distortion pedals, GAS is a real problem, but none of them really cover that heavy stuff. The closest thing I have is the Mad professor #1, which I can get a great VH tone out of, but that is about it. I also have a Rat, but usually only use it for recording because its the big box model and takes up a massive piece of real estate on my pedalboard.

Pedals I was looking at so far were the suhr riot, Wampler Triple Wreck, and Mesa Throttle Box.

JimHalinda

Dr. Scientist The Elements. Covers everything from a pure clean boost to light overdrive to heavy distortion bordering on fuzz. Super powerful EQ options, very versatile.

Burgs demo:

Lele

Boss DS-1 (but with just a couple of simple modifications to reduce the fizz, and to improve bass and mids frequencies), or Boss HM-2 (but it's not very easy to find the sweet spot with its controls), or MI Audio Crunch Box (kind of improved clone of Marshall Guv'nor - I think the Mooer Cruncher is a cheap clone of Crunch Box, too).

Pazz

I really like my Amptweaker tight rock. The ProRock will cover your needs, but is pretty large, physically. There are a lot of great features and great tones in those a
Amptweaker boxes. The built in Gate, coupled with the "tight knob" can really vary the impact of your palm mutes. The eq switch will go from "80's stack" to 5150 combo. Check them out.

Sorry: I called it the ProRock. I meant Big Rock Pro as others mention below.

Last edited:

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
The three best I've had are the Weehbo JVM Drive, Amptweaker TightRock and Emma ReezaFRATzitz.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
If money is no issue...

Empress Heavy
Amptweaker Big Rock Pro
Suhr Riot Reloaded

Are my three favorite medium-to-very-high gain distortion options.

wiklund87

I wanted a Throttle Box for a really long time, but I ended up with this one:

I got several boss od's and dist pedals(sd-2, od-2r, ds-2, md-2), and usually they need a good pushed tube amp to shine.
But the AD-2 sounds amazing with just my little Cube 30, and even more amazing with my Vox tube amp.
The controls contains a great range on tones, and even with high distortion, it is pretty silent and the note clarity is impressive.
Try it out, it may save you a lot of money!

reentune

Silver Supporting Member
I've just been pleasantly surprised by a Barber Dirty Bomb (the guy I got it from had done a mod to tame down the treble a bit).
It was so great in front of my Fly Rig 5 into a JC-77.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Emma Electronics Reezafratzitz is my go-to for modern gain.
Yep, this is the one for me, too. Has this wonderful sheen across the top that pushes it forward. Not quite chainsaw levels of gain, but close when you need it to be.

theroan

Bogner Red is the best high gain pedal ever made.
The Plexitone is also good, less flexible
Weehbo bastard, very modern

In terms of actually replicating a convincing amp-like high gain sound, very few pedal actually do the job.