• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Modern Gibson Hollowbodies--Boat Anchors?

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
I've recently played some new or relatively new Gibson archtop/hollowbody guitars, and they were all boat anchors! These included a Tal Farlow, ES175, and ES5--granted they are all laminated and some have a lot of hardware, but I'd estimate these weighed in the 9-11 lb. range, which seems excessive (although the Farlow sounded really good but felt like 10#). I played a semi-hollow ES137 Custom, that was every bit of 11 lbs. Are these the exception, or the rule? Experiences?

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Johnny A and it feels very light. I don't know the actual weight.
The JA doesn't have a solid block in it.

Custom50

i dunno. i have a mid 90s ES135 that's super light....but i think that has a balsa wood center so.....

sixty2strat

Just bought a 93 ES175 and I did notice the weight was more in line with the vintage 175's.I played a few new ones or post 2000 archtops and they were very heavy/. Not sure if it is a mind thing, expecting an acoustic weight but getting a more LP weight. My new 175 is light and very loud but good about not feeding back oddly

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
I think on any semi hollow examples the weight differences lie mainly in the center block.

I've read consistantly the new rendition of 330s are light.

Danny W.

The newest Gibson I have is a 2011 Wes Montgomery. It weighs 7 & 1/4 lbs, so it doesn't fit the OP's hypothesis.

My Johnny A's are in the mid-sixes with Bigsbys.

The heaviest guitar I currently have is a Custom Shop ES-355 that weighs nine pounds, and that's from 1994.

Danny W.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
It seems as though Gibson started using different laminate wood construction on most of their hollow and semi hollow guitars. The good news is that the VOS 175,335, and CS models either go back to the original spec or lighter weight wood!

Shark Sandwich

Silver Supporting Member
I believe the OP was talking about the hollowbodies with solid center blocks, so the JA's, L5s, etc. don't count.

I too have noticed that the newer 335s, 137s do tend to be a bit heavy.

sixty2strat

I believe the OP was talking about the hollowbodies with solid center blocks, so the JA's, L5s, etc. don't count.

he said the 175, L5 and tal farlow. So he was refering to the hollows, not the semi's

I do have a 09 ES335 that seems to be of moderate to light weight, played heavier and lighter, might be why I liked it. Though the quality was better than most Gibson USA

Danny W.

I've recently played some new or relatively new Gibson archtop/hollowbody guitars, and they were all boat anchors! These included a Tal Farlow, ES175, and ES5--granted they are all laminated and some have a lot of hardware, but I'd estimate these weighed in the 9-11 lb. range, which seems excessive (although the Farlow sounded really good but felt like 10#). I played a semi-hollow ES137 Custom, that was every bit of 11 lbs. Are these the exception, or the rule? Experiences?

The Tal, ES-175 and ES-5 mentioned in the OP are all full hollow bodies--no center block involved.

Danny W.

Trending Topics