Modern High Gain Amp with Loose Gain and Sag - Not Mesa Rectifiers

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Those of you who enjoy Doom, Stoner Rock and Metal or other genres that require higher gain, but also loose gain... what amps do you enjoy?

Amps I often hear associated with Stoner/Doom:

Mesa Rectifier
Orange OR
Verellen
Diezel

Just wondering what other more obscure amps are out there specialized for that purpose.

Preferably something that gets there without pedals, but still has that fuzzy, saggy, raunchy tone.

Some albums with the sound I'm thinking about:

Red Fang - Red Fang
The Sword - Warp Riders or Apocryphon
Kyuss - pretty much anything
Fu Manchu - King of the Road
Metallica - St Anger

Edit: I already have a Friedman JJ100 which can definitely cover the genre, but I'm looking for more obscure options with even looser raunchier gain. Like a mix of the crunchy bite of St Anger and the saggy raunchy grind of Kyuss.

Last edited:

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Red fang- sunn beta lead
Sword- orange/laney pro tube
Kyuss- probably ampeg v4
Fu Manchu- old marshalls
St-anger- probably diezel

( ^ I think....)

Most of those on the list use pedals in front of the amps though.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Bogner über shall isn't a typical choice in stoner/doom but I'll bet it would meet your modern/saggy/loose/heavy without needing pedals. My band has been in the Boston stoner/doom/psych scene for 8+ years, most I see and we use old big iron amps with pedals in front

BeardoCI

This is pretty much all the 5150 Mk II does!

(I know it isn't really, but it's REALLY good at it...)

althekiller

Gold Supporting Member
Stoner rock = Whatever loud amp you can get and turn it all the way up with a lot of bass.

Check out Sunn amps (even the solid state stuff) and old Traynors, Sound City amps, and Sovteks.

The Laney AOR is another good choice. It does Sleep tones without pedals. I believe one was used on Holy Mountain without any dirt pedals in front. I'd call it saggy, fuzzy, and raunchy but enough like a JCM 800 to keep the punch in it.

Axe-Man

Most high gain amps are not saggy and doomy; quite the opposite in fact.

Orange amps are one of the few mass production amps that have that fuzzy, loose element though.

Mc Tanza

The Mako Mak2 Dorado delivers that in spades: Unfathomable amounts of gain, girth and smoothness are on tap. I got one myself because I wanted an amp that could deliver what you described in the OP.

Also, an honorable mention has to go to the 5150. It can get there under adequate circumstances.

Trending Topics