• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Modern high gain amps are great, however I'm not convinced that there still isn't much better than an SD-1 into a vintage 2203/04...

guitargeek6298

Silver Supporting Member
OP, I've already responded with how awesome the SD-1 is with a Marshall but forgot to mention that with the addition of an MXR 10 Band EQ in the loop, game is over. One could save themselves years of tone searching and LOTS of money. Fantastic tools to have in every rig IMHO.
I haven't used the MXR, but I use a Boss 7 band in the loop of mine, and it's crazy how much more flexible it makes the amp. Solo boost, mid scoop, mid boost, it really adds flexibility.

Surgeon

This.. I love the 2203 and other Marshall amps but I was surprised to find other 100W heads like the Dual Rec can be EQ'd to do a lot of the 'same thing' depending on what one is going for. I find the Modern mode at lower gain with the power section opened up and with the mids and presence up gives a good crunchy sound and in a mix was just satisfying to me as any Marshall I have played in the past. I think a lot of people focus too much on how the amp sounds on its own compared to how it sounds recorded or in a mix which I find most important. My biggest gripe with Marshall amps in general is the clean sound - that is why I now prefer my Mesa amp more than ever because it has all the gain I need and to me a much better clean sound to go with it.

Regardless, all these amps are great.. it just depends on your preferences and how many features one needs.
Yeah, another thing I've repeated ad-nauseum is how incredibly versatile the Dual Rectos are. There are so many different great tones hidden in there and the "nu-metal" generic tone that gets slapped on it is nothing compared to everything else it can do. Thing is, I already knew and understood that but it still slapped me in the face the day I compared the 2203 to the DR.

jdel77

Yeah, another thing I've repeated ad-nauseum is how incredibly versatile the Dual Rectos are. There are so many different great tones hidden in there and the "nu-metal" generic tone that gets slapped on it is nothing compared to everything else it can do. Thing is, I already knew and understood that but it still slapped me in the face the day I compared the 2203 to the DR.
I've never owned a Dual Rec and have played one about 3 times, low volume.
If I own a SLO and the 2203, am I missing anything by not having a Dual Rec as well?

I love a good 2203, but even with a solid boost it doesn’t do the same thing as some modern high gainers. The mids and lows do not sit in the right place. There are a variety of tools for different purposes.

ezcomes

OP, I've already responded with how awesome the SD-1 is with a Marshall but forgot to mention that with the addition of an MXR 10 Band EQ in the loop, game is over. One could save themselves years of tone searching and LOTS of money. Fantastic tools to have in every rig IMHO.
Thats kind of the ****** thing though...my 2204 doesnt have a loop...

Surgeon

If I own a SLO and the 2203, am I missing anything by not having a Dual Rec as well?
Sadly I couldn’t tell you.
As much as I’d like to try and own an SLO, I never could nor would today’s prices allow me to.

guitargeek6298

Silver Supporting Member
I love a good 2203, but even with a solid boost it doesn’t do the same thing as some modern high gainers. The mids and lows do not sit in the right place. There are a variety of tools for different purposes.
That's my experience as well, although I've wanted to try adding a depth control to see how close it can get.

twotone

It’s more about frequency response of the pedal. Flat response boosters increase the gain in an amp’s low end. SD-1’s keep it tight and punchy.
I've used the Boss Super Overdrive. It's a good distortion, but I find that some bass is lost in the signal. Same thing with the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

I own one overdrive box, and its distortion is similar to the the SD-1. It's a Boss Power Stack. It has more bass, but I use it only with amps that can't be overdriven at low volumes.

DonaldDemon

I don't see the comparison at all, my 3-channel Dual Rec sounded nothing like my 2203. I hate to say it, but the Mesa sounded cool for that nu-metal chug thing and not much else IMO, I thought it sucked at everything else and I really wanted the 800 sound all along. The Splawn does for me what I wish the 800 did, more gain and a more modern low-mid tone, but basically the same crunchy Marshall thing, with an effects loop and solo boost.

aside

Agreed. A 2203 is one of my favourites, but when I fire up my Uberschall there's no contest for modern stuff.

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
Whatever works.
For me, it doesn't matter what combination
or models & makes.
"Where's my sound, oh there it is", 'LET'S JAM!'

I've told this before but here we go:

My favorite amp is my Dual Rectifier. It's thick, it's juicy and it's got a LOt of gain and I absolutely love it for it.
I also built a 2203 a few years ago which I'm extremely fond of.
While testing speakers, I recorded both independently and to my surprise, both sound very close. Sure there are differences (DR is a bit more chewey and saturated, 2203 is a bit tighter and they clearly feel quite different when you play them) but it astounded me how close to each other I make them sound. Apparently that's the tone I want to hear.
Just curious which version of the dual rec do you have?

Multi-watt (reborn). I’ve had the previous 3-channel too for a short while.
Nice. I have the older 3-channel and while I like it, I’m still figuring it out. The main thing I notice when recording it alongside a Marshall is it doesn’t have the immediacy and punchiness, and tends to sit back in a mix more, even when you have the two dialed for the same tone. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I’ve always felt the Dual Rec can compliment the Marshall, but the Marshall can stand on its own quite well.

So many people rave about the Multiwatt being an improvement over the 3-channel though. I wonder what I’m missing...

jdel77

Agreed. A 2203 is one of my favourites, but when I fire up my Uberschall there's no contest for modern stuff.
I’ve played Ubers and found them ok.
The 2203 just has the zing up top to cut through. This is with an 808 pushing it, but it’s a killer modern metal tone...

Jabby92

IMO not really. I personally prefer the layout and design of the Dual Rec over both the 2203 & the SLO.. but in terms of tone I think the SLO and 2203 easily cover everything one would need between vintage gain and more modern high gain. The early Dual Rec models were basically SLO clones but with a different power section.. and the SLO (from what I've read) was built around the Mark IIC+ but with several tweaks and mods.

For my tastes I find my Dual Rec does everything I would want out of an SLO or 2203.. so I'm happy with it.. but I think its fair to say that the 2203 and SLO are both 'kings' at that sound on their own.. whereas the Dual Rec I find does a combination of 2203 and SLO tones but with more of a Mesa 'voice' if that makes sense. I also personally find the newest Dual Rec has one of the best clean channels on any amp that I've played - I much prefer it over both 2203 and SLO cleans.

Surgeon

Nice. I have the older 3-channel and while I like it, I’m still figuring it out. The main thing I notice when recording it alongside a Marshall is it doesn’t have the immediacy and punchiness, and tends to sit back in a mix more, even when you have the two dialed for the same tone. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I’ve always felt the Dual Rec can compliment the Marshall, but the Marshall can stand on its own quite well.

So many people rave about the Multiwatt being an improvement over the 3-channel though. I wonder what I’m missing...
Well, I haven't recorded anything with a full band with this amp so I'll take your word for it about the mix.
Did you play/record them through the same cab?

I've had both versions at the same time for a few weeks but did very little comparison of the two. The older version I had for a great deal and I bought it with the sole intention of flipping it. I definitely preferred the MV but I'm dang sure it has more to do with the fact that I've got the MV dialed to a T to what I want/need from it while I didn't sit long with the older 3-channel to figure it out (as you know subtleties go a long way with these amps).
Both are cool amps for sure though and I'm not sure it'd be worth your while to switch from the 3ch to the MV, unless the assignable wattage is something you need. The cleans are better IMO on the MV, which might be worth it if you need better cleans.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
Thats kind of the ****** thing though...my 2204 doesnt have a loop...
Just picked up a Power Station PS2. Add that to your 2204 and now you have a loop and can get the master up to the sweet spot without getting arrested.

protest

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on what you play. The Dual Rec will do heavier things better than either the SLO or 2203. If you're playing Thrash you're good, if your playing hair metal you're good. If you want to play death metal, metalcore, anything post 1995 really you'll get more out of the Dual Rec. Especially if you get a Multiwatt because you get the bonus of a great clean channel.

Trending Topics