• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Modern high gain amps are great, however I'm not convinced that there still isn't much better than an SD-1 into a vintage 2203/04...

JohnSykes

I understand where you are coming from, and i LOVE the ol' JCM with a stompbox in front. However, modded amps do bring something different to the table. They respond differently.

BigBadOrange

Silver Supporting Member
I've told this before but here we go:

My favorite amp is my Dual Rectifier. It's thick, it's juicy and it's got a LOt of gain and I absolutely love it for it.
I also built a 2203 a few years ago which I'm extremely fond of.
While testing speakers, I recorded both independently and to my surprise, both sound very close. Sure there are differences (DR is a bit more chewey and saturated, 2203 is a bit tighter and they clearly feel quite different when you play them) but it astounded me how close to each other I make them sound. Apparently that's the tone I want to hear.
I played in an Iron Maiden tribute band for about 10 years with me on a marshall JVM410h and the other dude on a Dual Rectifier. I always thought it was a bit odd how close our tones actually were. It seems that the general consensus is that a Marshall and Mesa are very different, however in that band our tones were VERY close.

jdel77

Sadly I couldn’t tell you.
As much as I’d like to try and own an SLO, I never could nor would today’s prices allow me to.
To me my SLO absolutely has that 2203 heritage. The Normal channel in particular is like a perfectly mixed and mastered 2203, but a bit tighter, more compressed and with an extra 25% or so of gain on the dial. The Overdrive channel basically adds more gain and compression with a little bit less bass. Oh and the transformers simply won’t compress. Mega headroom.

Depends on what you play. The Dual Rec will do heavier things better than either the SLO or 2203. If you're playing Thrash you're good, if your playing hair metal you're good. If you want to play death metal, metalcore, anything post 1995 really you'll get more out of the Dual Rec. Especially if you get a Multiwatt because you get the bonus of a great clean channel.
Cheers for the info, however I have to disagree with you regarding modern bands using 2203’s. Here’s a couple of great examples of recent bands using them and killing it:

Last edited:

homeunit

Platinum Supporting Member
BE-100 Deluxe - Plexi Channel - Buxom Boost, or BE channel by itself. For me, it beats any Marshall, (or any other amp for that matter) I've ever used/owned.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
I love a good 2203, but even with a solid boost it doesn’t do the same thing as some modern high gainers. The mids and lows do not sit in the right place. There are a variety of tools for different purposes.
kinda with you on this. 2203 is very forward and in your face, cutting through any mix. That's what I love it for. You can play with eq or cabs but it's always going to do that. 2203 is sort of the tube screamer of amps. That's why I lean silver jubilee these days; similar vibe, but more ass and a little more balls when pushed. They blend well, too.
I’ve played Ubers and found them ok.
The 2203 just has the zing up top to cut through. This is with an 808 pushing it, but it’s a killer modern metal tone...

this sounds great, but the only thing that makes it sound "modern" is the bass and drum sounds. This could come straight out of a 90s record otherwise.

To me my SLO absolutely has that 2203 heritage. The Normal channel in particular is like a perfectly mixed and mastered 2203, but a bit tighter, more compressed and with an extra 25% or so of gain on the dial. The Overdrive channel basically adds more gain and compression with a little bit less bass. Oh and the transformers simply won’t compress. Mega headroom.

Cheers for the info, however I have to disagree with you regarding modern bands using 2203’s. Here’s a couple of great examples of recent bands using them and killing it:

the top band kinda sounds like they got a touch of hm2 going on, and Mastodon is cleaner and carried by the bass and volume. Some good sounds there.

kingrazor

I wondered why I never seemed to hear one high gain amp that seemed to capture everything I wanted to hear in a high gain guitar sound, then I heard someone put three different ones together in one clip and realized it's because I'm way too used to hearing dual or even quad tracked guitars in this kind of music.

So I'm not sure the individual amp matters as much as having multiple tracks. Maybe one amp into two different cabs each miked up to make a stereo pair?

protest

Silver Supporting Member

Sylosis is high gain modded Marshalls and a 5150. Mastodon is a VH4, Friedman, Marshall, and Orange mix.

Axe-Man

Well...I’ve had all the regular ‘classic’ high gainers and am very fond of my SD1w which I use for most amps and my pedals...but I kind of found my tonal happy place in a Ceriatone Yeti 100. I’m even happier with it of late, but it’s no longer very stock...no boost needed naturally.

I do love a boosted Rectifier although they do lack that immediacy that a modded Marshall provides which was an ongoing source of annoyance and why I guess I keep on selling them (5 now).

middy

I prefer more bass and middle. I can't stand a trebly sounding amp.
Mud all over the mix and mushy lows. :dunno
both the TS and SD-1 have tone controls to deal with the treble so you can just boost the mids. But if you can make bassy gain work, you do you.

Last edited:

jdel77

Sylosis is high gain modded Marshalls and a 5150. Mastodon is a VH4, Friedman, Marshall, and Orange mix.
There was some live footage of Mastodon from their Once More Round the Sun tour and they were using JMP 2203's into Orange cabs. Probably my favourite live tones of theirs I've heard, just massive.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Mud all over the mix and mushy lows. :dunno
both the TS and SD-1 have tone controls to deal with the treble so you can just boost the mids. But if you can make bassy gain work, you do you.
This is one of those things that has gotten continually repeated on the internet and then taken as gospel, despite all the evidence to the contrary

middy

This is one of those things that has gotten continually repeated on the internet and then taken as gospel, despite all the evidence to the contrary
It depends on the amp and the availability of an eq pedal in the loop.

Serious Poo