• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

"Modern" hookup wire for pots and output jack?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Can I ask what you folks recommend for a top quality type of wire to use in a rewire job for my PRS? I need single conductor stuff and also some shielded type for the output jack. I don't mind paying for quality so please mention any that you see fit. A source may be helpful to me too if you can.
Thanks,
Barnzy

ACETECH

Generally speaking get a stranded wire with as many strands as available, Cheap wire has about 7 strands and breaks easily when bent or a constant strain is applied good wire has 16 strands. For ease of use I would use 18-22 gage anything smaller than 22 is hard to work with.
Good luck

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
22 stranded is the standard, just because thinner is flimsy and thicker is hard to work with. no sonic differences either way.

i like the mojotone stuff, which is pre-tinned after the strands are wound together, so the solder has soaked in between the strands; it's reliable and not brittle (being stranded), but bends sharp and stays bent like solid-core.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds good Walter...what do you use for a shielded wire to the output jack?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
the gibson-style braided-shield cloth stuff from stew-mac does just fine.

also, their regular cloth wire is pre-tinned too, so it has the same superior bending properties of the mojo stuff. (i wish their braided-shield was also pre-tinned, but you can't have everythng i guess.)

Top Bottom