• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Modern Marshalls.. all junk?

DV52

It's not better just different.
And the question was not answered . He made an absolute statement .That it is "better" I have not played a "C" JTM 45.But if the answer he gave that it's hand wired and that makes it better in a way to snuff me off and tell me to STFU, I felt no need to reply as I was not ruffling him.

Are the parts they are using Better than the Marshall HW JTM 45 ?

NAME

I have played 100 watt JMP MK2 amps since they came out. In my opinion JMPs out do the newer amps. My sentiments are on display in the video below, older video but damm funny! Enjoy and Happy Easter for those that it applies to.
"JMP, it's a good place to be." Can't argue with that!

gunslinger

I think they make good amps. They're all I've ever owned. I have tried out other brands. But they didn't have the sound I wanted. Evey amp company probably has some amps that have problems. It's just the way it is. Part of the problem may be the heat and high voltages. And sometimes they try to put too many features in an amp. But this seems to be what a lot of people want today. I've played expensive 'boutique' amps that didn't sound good. What good is an expensive amp if I don't like the way it sounds? I have a 1986 solid state Marshall micro stack. It works as good as new. It's never needed anything done to it except a little cleaning of the pots.

BearBryan

And the question was not answered . He made an absolute statement .That it is "better" I have not played a "C" JTM 45.But if the answer he gave that it's hand wired and that makes it better in a way to snuff me off and tell me to STFU, I felt no need to reply as I was not ruffling him.

Can you read? It’s better because it is an actual JTM45.... This thread is AIDS.

Edit: And you didn’t quote me so you could lie and insinuate that I told you to “STFU”. I even apologized at the end of that post for breaking it down Barney style for you.

Last edited:

Darkburst

It’s the wrong circuit. The Marshall JTM45 reissue is not the same as their original design. Wrong pre amp, wrong power tubes. It’s not just about the quality of parts and assembly.

BearBryan

It’s the wrong circuit. The Marshall JTM45 reissue is not the same as their original design. Wrong pre amp, wrong power tubes. It’s not just about the quality of parts and assembly.
Wrong filtering too, which along with preamp is huge. A 30w bass spec plexi with a gz34 and 5881 tubes. If fender stuck a 12AT7, a reverb driver, and a spring tank in a tweed deluxe tomorrow and called it a deluxe reverb reissue would these same people let it slide?

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I have to agree on the original DSL being great. I have a DSL50 and it rocks. I've said this on other posts here but I have some killer amps SLO-100, EVH's, voxs and other Marshalls...I use the DSL on 90% of my recordings. It just has the tone of what rock guitar should sound like. It can easily do clean to AC/DC crunch, to 80's and modern metal with a boost. Awesome amp for the money

EDIT: If you do get or have a DSL50 or 100 pop new tubes in it and re-bias. Made a difference in my head. The bias was pretty cold from the factory.

davidespinosa

Silver Supporting Member
Marshall's iconic amps are:
* JTM
* JMP
* JCM
* the 18 watt amps

Those amps define The Marshall Sound. More modern Marshalls may sound great, but they only have the Marshall sound to the degree that they sound like the above amps.

Now if we want to talk about The Modded Marshall Sound, that's a separate topic. The iconic amps in that category were built by Jose Arredondo, Reinhold Bogner, Dave Friedman, and others, using Marshalls as a starting point. I don't think Marshall themselves ever created an iconic modded Marshall amp. We can contrast that with Mesa, who have continued to evolve their sound; no one else has done it for them.

NatGardner

Once you know the Marshall tone you want you should be able to coax it out of your hands through any of the valve lines imo. I personally can cop all of them with a DSL20hr's two voicings and soundmen love the stage volume.

For the limited budget weekend gigger who realizes that the audience can't tell the difference from a $2500 head that requires a $600 tone sucking attenuator or a Katana 50 there is a solution. Since we all agree that club owners and soundmen hate half stack guitar players blowing out their customers, having owned or played through most Marshalls I can attest that a Box of Rock through a clean tube amp sounds and reacts to touch extremely close to a JTM 45 at a controllable stage volume. After all isn't that the late 60's early 70's tone we really want?

Trending Topics