• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Modern metal is so depressing... where's the fun?

Zander Dean

I heard a song from a band called Iwrestledabearonce a few days ago and I smiled thru the whole thing because it was insanely brilliant.
Made me happy--it was hoot!

althekiller

Gold Supporting Member
Check out Red Fang and Torche. Fun and happy sludge party music!

Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Nebula, Clutch and a whole lot of other heavy music that is just about killer riffs and grooves, muscle cars, drinking, smoking weed and having a good old fashion fun rock n roll time.

althekiller

Gold Supporting Member
I think you're scope of "metal" is incredibly broad and narrow at the same time, there are tons of good heavy rock acts out there.... Have you heard Maid Myriad, or Coheed & Cambria, or Mandroid Echostar? Some people get a kick out of a doom and gloom, don't like it, move on.
While Coheed is one of my favorite modern bands I wouldn't consider them happy. Many of their songs have a major and poppy chord structure but the lyrical context in most of Coheed is either very disturbing and violent or dark and angsty.

aynirar27

Double
Platinum Supporting Member
at the risk of sounding cliche, if you aren't getting any fun out of metal, you just aren't getting metal. do yourself a favor and go out and see some bands live instead of streaming it through some laptop speakers. even the gnarliest of grindcore bands are all about energy. it's about the constant loop of the band feeding off the crowd who is feeding off the band. It's a symbiosis that no other style of music creates.

aynirar27

Double
Platinum Supporting Member
also this thread made me think of this video. the kid is a real tool haha but I enjoy is videos. It makes me wish I could go back and be a scene kid haha

treedroppings

Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter, Duane Allman are more my style.

For metal, I'm gonna go Exodus, Metal Church.

The idea is more running down a rocky hill and getting payback on an asshat than killing Zombies.
More King Kong than horror for me, please!

More upper mids and dynamics, and less mud, a lot less mud, please.

NorCal_Val

I've actually enjoyed metal over the last 20 years.
There's been a lot of really good bands who picked up the
ball, post-hair metal, and ran with it.
(Sure, there's a lot of cr@p as well.)
Its certainly inspired me to branch out musically.

BriSol

I mean, you're talking about heavy metal. It's supposed to be dark and heavy. I certainly share the perception that this can easily become contrived or even comical though, as the shock value and desperate attempt to conjure a dark or "badass" image is a gimmick that can wear off quickly with maturity. A lot of it seems to be an avenue for young males to posture about being tough guys. But it's heavy metal, and I don't share any kind of romanticism for the "fun" of hair bands - many of those bands made terribly cheesy music and were gimmicky, basically amounting to formulaic pop music with distorted guitars. Cheesy bands dressed up as drag queens writing banal songs about a romanticisized party lifestyle and being goofy isn't saved by happening to have shred guitar players in them. Both dark/heavy bands and hair bands become a parody of themselves after a point.

slybird

This is a very old thread, but . . . Wasn't the blue print of metal designed by Black Sabbath? It wasn't like they were trying to be all happy and cheery. Just a reminder, the first song on their first album. A real happy uplifting number.

twoheadedboy

Guitar-driven music has gone from Wanting to Rock and Roll All Night to, well, living in its own self-loathing.

Yeah, rock music has always entertained the darker side of life, from addressing depression to war to drugs to sex addiction. But so much of rock's heritage had a sense of redemption about it, or a sense of desiring social, political, or personal change, or at least some very artistic usage of language and melody.

But today, guitar-driven music is so inwardly dark. I'm not talking the more pop-inspired rock out there today. I'm talking the guys so many young guitarists view as modern guitar heroes.

Nevermore... so dark
Meshuggah... so dark
Avenged Sevenfold... so depressing... and lame

Here are the lyrics to Bleed by Meshuggah:

"Beams of fire sweep through my head
Thrusts of pain increasingly engaged
Sensory receptors succumb
I'm no one now, only agony
"

Seriously? That's what a modern rock thinks about all day? I get it, a few folks and kids out there like that kind of stuff. It's the progeny of acts like Metallica and Tool--stuff I listened to when I was angsty.

But it's simply just not "fun" anymore. There's no more rock 'n' roll laden with guitar magic and stuff that makes you turn your head and go "Wow!". There's no more turning up modern rock and getting people dancing to it all night.

There are a few guitarists who are utterly fantastic, but they're most certainly in the minority and are hardly of the same popularity of the Jimis and Stevies and Eddies, let alone any of the guitarists of the Hair Metal era. The "Party On!" era of Wayne and Garth is dead in modern rock, and the age of popular guitar heroes is over.

I think it's rooted in a deep kind of sadness permeating modern culture. Country music is trying to be the new rock 'n' roll but its a harder sell on folks who don't like all that twang. And it's not really guitar-driven music, although there are a number of great pickers in that genre.

So, does guitar-driven music ever come out of its dungeon? Do we get to have music we want to drive, rock, and dance to again, with guitarists who create awe across a wide swath of culture?
You should listen to Devin Townsend.

Buzzard Luck

YeH, this is weird. I'm not into fun metal or funny music. Not that the electric guitar can't be used to produce joyful music and uplifting melodies. It can. But I as a consumer don't want happy metal. I want some heavy powerful sh*t. InstrumentL or singing. Make it rock.

DonaldDemon

I like dark. But when I think dark, I think of Tool, A Perfect Circle, Opeth, Porcupine Tree and such. I'm not sure if that's what you're rallying against. I definitely can't take the "more heavier" movement. And I can't handle the whole Slipknot "slit your throat and f*** the wound" stuff, either. It's not even offensive to me, it's just cheeseball.
I'm on this page, lots of good, dark metal without the cheeseball content. I find the party metal just as trite as the self-loathing metal, though. I'm glad that stuff died in the 80's for the most part.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom