'Modern' Plexi/Superlead type amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikey, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey Supporting Member

I've been using a Marshall Jubilee for about 8 years and I'd like to upgrade to a better quality amp with a 'modded' plexi/superlead voicing (i.e. a more 'open' tone, less compressed than the Jubilee, must respond very well to guitar volume control). No bells and whistles, just a single channel format and an effects loop would be a welcome addition. Anything out there that might get me there? Roccaforte? Others? Thanks for reading!

2. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

You could always just buy a late 70's Marshall and have Don Butler convert it Plexi specs. Apparently he did Peter Stroud's fawn 100-watter and he loves it.

3. bstranathan

bstranathan Member

can you get the Early hendrix tone and '68 superlead hendrix tone out of a two-rock?

4. funk49

funk49 Member

Metroamp...period. I just got a 12 series that was built by a famous amp tech with the intention of doing some custom circuit stuff. My 12xxx Plexi clone is seriously giving my '67 50 watter a run for it's money. I"m not even sure I want to mess with it at this point, it's that damn good.

5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Which ones are the 12 series? I don't see that on their page. I've been contemplating getting a kit and building a plexi-style amp as a hobby project.

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

You might go with your first instinct, the Roccaforte sounds like a match for your needs.

7. funk49

funk49 Member

8. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

9. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i own 2 jubilees 1 with EL34's and one with 6550's,i allways reach for the 6550 one cos i can roll back my volume and clean right up also NOS mullards help......i dont think u need a new amp i thought i did til i got the 6550 jubilee...........

10. Newton

Newton Member

A Blockhead 100, Metropoulos 67 or 68, Roccaforte custom 80, Germino, Marshall 1959 HW and my first choice is the Mojave Peacemaker it is the ultimate Marshall non-master type and feel amp. This amp have a killer tone and a power dampening and an adjustable line out. The marshall 2555 is the best modern Marshall, I had the Slash version for years. For my taste,it clean best well when you roll back the volume a bit ont the high gain channel but will never have the response of the Peacemaker. I had The BLK100 and the Germino lead 55 and an old plexi all sold but still have the Peacemaker and will keep it forever. My setup for now is a Klon + T-Rex replica split direct out in the Mojave high input and the wet in the low input + a 4x12 with g12h30w.

11. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I'm gonna build one of these this winter and I can't friggen wait!! I have always wanted to build my own amp, and I really want a great old Marshall so here's killing two birds with one stone. Plus if I want to tweek the sound some, I can and not feel too bad about it.

Steve

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

S2 Amps will do a great one I bet

13. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock won't get you the Marshall sound like many many many other amps can. There are a lot of Marshall type amp builders out there, so your selection is really good.

14. Ironman

Ironman Member

I went down exactly the same road last year. Tried a few boutique amps (Rocca, Germino & Mojave) out and ended up with a Roccaforte Custom 30. She is way more open sounding than the 2555. The Roccaforte Custom series are more in the 70's metal panel tone than the 60's Plexi's. She's got a great master volume that dials in a mean crunch, I use an OCD with her and it's a great match.

Please don't get rid of the Jubilee, it's such a great rock amp! Just add to the palette. Good luck!

[​IMG]

15. TastyPasty

TastyPasty Member

16. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Roccaforte for me has been the best Ive played that are voiced like what you've described.

17. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I used to own a Silver Jubilee 1/2 stack (bought it new in '87 when they came out and just sold it a couple years back) and quite honestly... I don't know why this amp is held in such high regards :confused: :confused: It's tone never was my cup of tea and I GREATLY prefer the tone and feel of my old pre '73 4 hole non-master volume Marshalls as well as a few of the newer boutique Marshall amps I currently have. But in retrospect... I wish I still had it because prices for used ones seem to just keep climbing!:jo :NUTS So with that in mind you may want to hold on to yours too.

I agree with PlexiBreath and Ironman here and recommend that you go with your initial instinct and check out a Roccaforte. I have a Custom 30 head that is running with the stock 4 6V6's in the power section (you'd never know it from the tone and feel and I'd swear it was running 2 EL34's if I didn't know better!).... and it's just a fantastic amp IMO.

I've owned/played a lot of old Marshall amps as well a a fair number of the newer boutique Marshalls... Aiken Invader, Blockhead JTM 50, Cornell DC, Germino Lead 55, Tophat Emplexador... to name a few... and to my ears... my Roccaforte Custom 30 comes the closest in tone and feel to my old Marshall amps of all of them. It has the same massive low end whollop as well as an openess through the mids that my old Marshall amps have and depending upon how you set it... can sound very close to an old 4 hole Marshall IMO.... but still has the added benefit of a GREAT master volume that sounds very organic (and still retains that huge low end) up until only the lowest settings. Overall...it's a very "old school Marshall" sounding amp only with the added benefit of a master volume. Great amp! Highly recommended! :AOK

18. Erik

Erik Member

Either a Roccaforte or a Splawn Competition.

19. EXP

EXP Member

this is the exact sound im going for too! ;)

20. Newton

Newton Member

I agree with you 6v6 won't give the plexi tone of 4 EL34, But 4 EL34 in a bedroom:jo