modern production AC30s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kiteflyer, Jun 5, 2006.

1. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I've been desiring an AC30 for a while and I'm wondering what there is in the market place at the moment. Any great copies with reverb?

Opinions on the AC30CC?

2. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I would like to know the answer to this question as well; So far i have gathered these choices:

Cheaper:
    Laney VC30 (havnt tried it, heard mixed opinions)
    Some say a Reverend Hellhound can do VOX chime

Booteek(and of course, expensive):
    Matchless, Tophat, Hayseed

In terms of the CC, in many blind shootouts it has outclassed all but a JMI original. Many people say it is the BEST ac30 in decades (well, excluding the ultra expensive point-to-point or handwired ones). I like it...

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The CC is an amazing value, and it sounds like some of the best JMIs I've heard. Check the search function, you'll find TONS of threads on it.

Welcome to TGP!

4. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Valvetech Hayseed 30. Not expensive, great tone, built like a tank, excellent customer service.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Vox CC is as good as it gets. Like the best vintage ones you could find, but with reverb, and LOTS more tonal options. One of the best sounding amps you can buy regardless of cost.:AOK

6. dave s

dave s Member

I'll second and third what others have said. The new AC30CC line is amazing. If you have a guitar center in your area, they carry the line. Most will have at least the AC15 which completely sold me.

Ended up with the AC30CC2 (212 model) and upgraded the speakers to the Blue 15s after purchase. This is one of those amps that I end up actually turing DOWN at gigs because of the huge tone and cut through the mix ability.

I'm floored by my copy. So much that my Matchless Clubman rig (2 pcs as opposed to the VOX combo) is staying at home and I'm gigging with the VOX now.

dave

7. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The AC30CC has the classic Vox tone, more so with the Blues in my opinion but there are plenty of people who like the Wharfdales as well. I owned one for a short while and compared it to my Hayseed. I liked the Hayseed better so I returned the Vox but I would have been happy with the CC if I didn't already own the Valvetech. Regarding reverb, the reverb on the CC I bought was weak. I've played other CCs at Guitar Center where the reverb was actually very nice. It must have been an issue with the one I bought -- something to be aware of when you're out looking at amps.

If you're on a budget, get the Wharfdale model and upgrade to Weber or Celestion Blues when you can. If I had $1000 to spend on an amp, that's what I would do. FWIW, a Valvetech Hayseed is around $1000 for the head or an unloaded cabinet; with Celestion Blues, mine came out to $1450.

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

If you can do without the reverb check out JMJ Amps.

You get an AC30/4 EF86 channel, a NTB normal channel, and a TB channel in a true AC30 chassis that you can slide into any stock vintage style cab or head. Matt will add power scaling if you want and that makes the amp useable in many more situations. The layout and construction is JMI style, but better quality than typical 60's construction. Components and trannies are top quality as well.

It's kind of a 3 "best of AC30" channel amp. Add an ABC or an ABY switch and you have a very flexible setup. You can add delay or verb to one of the channels with a pedal or tank and blend it with another for some great tones.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

If you can stand the wait, the Hayseed is the sh*t. It's only slightly more expensive than a Wharfedale-loaded Vox AC30CC. Those JMJ amps look way cool, too. Anything with an EF86 should bring a smile to your face.

10. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Pardon this.....If you decided you want a nicely priced upgraded UK built Vox (loaded with a Blue and G12H30), let me know. Oh, and it comes with a flightcase.

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

12. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Yes +1 on Matt at JMJ. He built my AC30 clone and it's not going anywhere. As close as you can get to to an early JMI with todays build quailty. Have North Coast build a vintage looking head and cab add some blues and enjoy. Only thing I'd do different now would be the power scaling. I wanted it a pure as posible to the early 60's versions. Now I find to it really sings at volumes I can tolorate with the Ultimate Attenuator. IMHO I'd build a head and cab version becuase I don't care much for tube rattle.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Make sure you listen to the hayseed first. Someone posted A/B clips of it against an older Vox AC30 RI about a month ago, and the Vox SMOKED it.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

hehhe, you're sure to start some trouble with the term, "smoked", tag. For some reason, some folks get infurriated when terms like that are used--even though your signature is "in my opinion...". Anyway, the way I'd put it is the Hayseed sounded good. It sounded brighter than the Vox, at least on the clips. For me...that's not a good thing per se. To me, it resulted in the Hayseed sounding a bit thinner. I did perefer the Vox...and that's why I bought it. ;)

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

Yep. Them's fightin' words. Having owned both, I personally have to say that the Hayseed is a far better amp on all levels than the old TBX. Especially considering it has an EF86 front end that the Vox reissue doesn't even have. The newer AC30CC is better, but still doesn't hold a candle to a Hayseed for build quality and tonal versatility.

But, of course, opinions are like arseh*les... :horse

16. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

thanks for all the info! the jmj's look great, i might have to start saving my coins for one. I'll check out a AC30CC as well. I didn't know they were so highly regarded! I can't believe I ignored them. Shame on me.

by the way, anyone tried the Brian May AC30? it's an interesting looking beast with a built in boost, half power cut, and one lonely knob (vol).

17. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

They shouldn't even bother with that "one lonely [volume] knob," since he dimes it all the time and controls volume from his axe.

18. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Since we're being bold and brash I 'll make a bold statement.

The Vox AC30CC is tied as my all time favorite el84 based amp (insert Kingsley Deluxe 30 and AC30HW in here as well). I actually prefer it to the old JMI amps I have owned including the magical ones because it has so many tones and I have tried to be seduced by almost every el84 offering that has been the amp of the moment. I have not tried the JMJ though - looks very intriguing...I'm glad that some of the "heavy weights" around here are on board with the CC - finally some street cred for this amp which was maligned out of the gates due to xenophobic musings by a select but vocal few...

19. granite

granite Member

Didn't they open for the Sex Pistols in '77?
    :crazyguy

Wow...your opinion of the CC is pretty high praise. I might have to shove my musings in the closet and go play one.

20. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

believe me I was not immune from such doubts when they came out but after trying 6 or 7 different ones I was sold. Faracaster on this board was A'B-ing it with a Komet 60 and he commented that in terms of sonic quality one would be hard pressed to pick a winner (though they are very different) - that was comparing a 900 dollar amp to a 3500 dollar one - I think most people who give it a chance and learn its nuances will end up being surprised (xenophobic musings really is a great name for a punk band!!)