Modern Rock Distortion Pedal

Absent Ocean

Howdy folks! I'm looking for something a little more modern and beefy than the DLS mk3 I'm currently using. I've been digging the DOD stuff a lot lately so the Gunslinger has my eye but I don't really know much about straight up distorion pedals. I'm looking for a sound similar to the band Nothing.

Leep Dog

Silver Supporting Member
Don't really have a pedal recommendation for you; just wanted to say I liked those songs. Maybe a Big Muff style pedal and some reverb?

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I like them ok, but I wouldn't call that 'modern'. Pretty 90's sounding IMO. A rat and some reverb could help if your amp isn't getting that sound

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
Those guys use the Fulltone OCD for most of their distorted tones. The singer also had a nano metal muff on his board.

Absent Ocean

Yeah certainly 90's inspired. Personally I'd call 90's and 90's inspired sounds like this more "modern" compared to "classic," but that being said I'm more interested in the sound than in genre classification.

You've got the Plexi thing covered. Any Guv'nor clone would get you into modern Marshall territory. If you're looking for Mesa, check out the MI Audio Tube Zone or Megalith.

ummohyeah

Very basic gear.

BTW Nothing could probably best be described as shoegaze.

And IMO there are a ton of better options for dirt for this style of music than the OCD. Get a Big Muff and a Rat first and foremost.

Absent Ocean

Very basic gear.

BTW Nothing could probably best be described as shoegaze.

And IMO there are a ton of better options for dirt for this style of music than the OCD. Get a Big Muff and a Rat first and foremost.
Sorry for the late response, but I definitely appreciate the video!

I don't know much about OCD revisions but my V4 doesn't quite get that far from what I recall. Will try out tomorrow though! I may have been too busy playing with the Carcosa today..

Maybe a Rat is the ticket if it doesn't work out though. I have have two Muffs already and they seem to have the opposite problem in that they're too much for the sound. Is the Cmatmods one any good? It seems to have a pretty good ratio of features and quality to cost but there really aren't many demos on YouTube that deal with a lot of chord work as far as I can see.

mici

Do not kill me, but I love my Japanese 1989 DS-1. It easily dials into 90s grungy-heavily-saturated tone with:

Marshall JCM900 clean channel on slight, delicate breakup
DS-1 tone 10:30
DS-1 dist: 2:00
DS-1 lvl 4:00

Bentayuk

Proco Rat, that's where I'd start, and if that doesn't get your there, try mixing it with your OCD and/or an EQ pedal.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
You could try the H&k warp pedal, I had one of those, supposedly the boss mega distortion was a modern rock distortion pedal. I liked my EH big muff when I had it. I believe the ibanez smash box was supposed to be a modern distortion pedal. Good luck with your search

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Randall makes the RM13-which gives you clean and two levels of high gain with lots of EQ choices, as well as a solo boost. And the price is really right for all that flexibility.

Trending Topics