Modern vs 50s wiring, bursts had both!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chance Terrill, May 30, 2020.

1. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Some of my guitars are 50’s and some are “modern”. I make either work.

Chance Terrill likes this.
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

It's the nature of the strings at longer lengths and rigidity of the anchor points allowing a more efficient coupling. Holds true on acoustic guitars too of course.
    You will not fix it. Use it for variety.
    Modern to '50s is a trivially easy mod to try, esp on a LP where pot access is so convenient.

3. SoPhx

SoPhx Member

I can't stand 50s wiring. I'm not deaf and excessive high end drives me crazy. I also do NOT want to sound like Johnny Thunders---why would you?

4. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Just an observation, I've noticed so many nuances like that lately, like if u play a bunch of ringing open chords with a nice crunchy tube amp, then try to throw an a or b power chord (three notes not just 2) in there, it stands out like a sore thumb, it really allows you to fine tune the sound of your riffs without using a pedal
    LOL..... U just gotta dial In amp different, add bass cut highs and roll. Tone back....... The beauty if it is if u dial it it to sound perfect with tone around 6 to 7 and volume at around 8 you can get fatter or brighter while still having clarity......... It's just funny because that was exactly my first impression as well..... Once I adjusted amp and controls now I can go anywhere I want.... From beano album Clapton (peanut butter milkshake thick creamy and round) to a bit abrasive like the solo in sympathy for the devil..... Believe me I switched back and forth a bunch if times back to back cuz I felt exactly like u do......but I'm am SO glad I stuck with it and tailored my rig to it because now I'm happier then I've ever been with my guitar and sound in general

5. SoPhx

SoPhx Member

I just want the $#%$#^ thing to sound decent when I plug it in---not into Beaner Crapton tone. That always sounds to me like a blown speaker or an amateur using a Marshall for the first time. Ugh.