1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

modes

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by solstice, Apr 25, 2005.

1. solstice

solstice Member

if i play a cmajor chord progression (1-4-5/CFG) and want to solo i can go with a aeolian which is the sixth interval of the c major scale. but say im in a aeolian and i want to take it deeper and build up the solo or whatever, where can i go from a aeolian and have it sound good?

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

If you're playing A aeolian over C-F-G, you're really playing C ionian over C, F lydian over F, and G mixolydian over G.

If you want to spice it up some, try playing Ab melodic minor (Ab major with a flat 3) over the G, then resolve back into C major. You could also try C harmonic minor (C aeolian with a #7) over the G for some added flavor-flav.

That's just two of like 3 trillion ideas for building tension over that progression.

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

Try playing C# mixolydian over the G when resolving to C.

Quick hi-jack.

dkaplowitz - do you know what knerps for moisture is?

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Why yes I do. It's an English umbrella company's slogan that found its way onto Roxy and Elsewhere (Penguin in Bondage). At least that's what I'd heard over the years.

While we're at it, I don't get your angry boyscouts reference. What's that from?

Edit - Ironically enough I had it misspelled. It's actually "Knirps", and I'm not 100% sure it's an English company either. I added that embellishment. But who better to be a manufacturer of brollys than the English?

Edit again: Way off. They're German. I guess given the name "Knirps" I shoulda' known. Here's their site.

5. lhallam

lhallam Member

Friggin Great!

Looks like you and I read the same biography, I think I learned that tidbit from "The Negative Dialects of Poodle Play". Regardless, it made me laugh when I read it.

A few years ago I was walking in a Safeway over by the gourmet food section when I looked a package of pastries called "Florentine Pogans". People must've thought I was crazy as I stood in the store all by myself cracking up. I love the idea of getting a joke 25 years later.

I was in Thailand a number of years ago and this guy was telling me a story of a political happening in the country. When he said, "then hordes of angry boyscouts came protesting into the streets" it just stuck with me. :D Plus the ridiculousness of the story (Govt manipulation) made it even more memorable.

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

Hmmm....maybe Watson's book is where I got that from. I'm not sure. I have it, but only read a chapter or two cuzz I couldn't hang with a lot of the Kantian/Hegelian rhetoric it seemed loaded with. I may give it another whirl one of these days just for .....er.....fun. ;)

Actually I've never seen Florentine Pogens. I didn't know they were pastries. That's cool to know. I'd surely buy a pack just to have them if I ever saw them. Cool beans. There's tons of that stuff swaddled up in the conceptual continuity that I'll probably never get.

Cheers,

Dave

7. solstice

solstice Member

have some manners and don't hijack the thread with useless non musical banter.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

Actually it is musical banter just not technical. Anyway sorry for the hi-jack.

I am here to serve, if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer them if I know it.

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

Maybe you should thank him for taking the time out to give you some musical ideas before you berate him for simply having a conversation. Did you pay for this web forum? No? Well then how about hanging around a little longer than two posts before lecturing one of the most well respected, patient and helpful members here.