ModFactor or Nova Modulator?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Feb 11, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

2. shood

shood Member

I am also interested in feedback on this question.

What are the release dates on these units? (I have a birthday coming up in mid-March)

Does anyone actually have his or her hands on either unit I would love some user reviews/feedback

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Well, no one knows, because MF isn't released yet. However, I thought hard about this when choosing between the Time Factor and Nova Delay, and I decided that Eventide was more versatile, more powerful, and likely sounds better. More money but a bigger bang. I did choose to spend an entire day (!) studying the manual, programming pedal, programming external aux footswitch, and creating 20 presets that work for me. But it was worth it, and mostly fun. I imagine the Nova is faster to get up and running with.
    So I'm on the list for a mod factor.

5. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I'm hoping that the Nova Mod will be enough for me. All I really need out of a mod unit is some good trem (chopper sounds to amp sounds) and a phaser that can get me a nice rich slow sound that's I guess kinda Pink Floydish. All the rest is just for kicks since I'd probably rarely if ever use chorus, vibe, or flange.

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

With my experience with the Nova Delay, I'm all over the Nova Modulator!
    Release date is April, IIRC! :)

7. popsongsmith

yeah, I'm leaning toward the ModFactor. The demo videos of the G system sound, well, very '80s.

I don't think you can compare the delay units and apply that info to the mod units. delays are relatively straightforward, but mod effects are trickier to get right.

8. mrp3118

mrp3118 Member

Well the modular is a dual engine. So you can use two modular effects at the same time. Tremolo-phaser or vice versa phaser-tremolo.

9. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Here or on another forum, someone commented that they played both at NAMM and felt like the Eventide was the winner, but didn't go into much detail. I was hoping maybe someone else had gotten an early peek . . . .

and if that person could compare to the Glass Nexus, my life would be complete! :)

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Silver Supporting Member

Nova Delay Kills the dd-20 IMO. also have the Modulator on the way.

11. popsongsmith

Just wanted to chime back in that the ModFactor went back, because imho the chorus is shite. The chorus and phaser were my main motivations for getting the unit, and they were both disappointing. I actually prefer my lowly MM4 for the chorus and phaser. Plus, the interface is much better for my needs. Everything else is just gravy.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I lot of folks, including myself, strongly disagree on that one. I even prefer my DD20 to the Timefactor. For straight up delay needs you can't go wrong. If you need all the fancy frills and add'l effects, processing power, stored settings and a hi-fi, studio quality tones the Nova or TF is the way to go. But for live use, they just don't work for me.

13. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I agree although I like the Timefactor better. TC and Eventide have decades of proven experience in the area of delays and it shows. Another great feature of the TF is you can use it with line level signals so it has other uses live and in the studio. To each his own I guess but I thought the dd-20 sounded terrible.

14. steinwand

steinwand Member

problem for me with either the ModFactor or the NovaModulator is,
    that i like to have my phaser and vibe in front of dirt and the trem and vib
    after dirt ...
    just a consideration ...
    i am going with different pedals ... but i must admit that a free routable combination of trem and phase is tempting

15. 12guitdown

12guitdown Silver Supporting Member

You're right. The dd20 does things the nova can't and vice-versa. Both sound good but different in their own way. I do like the format of the Boss better but the dual delay modes, long controllable tails and mix knob of the nova is the icing on the cake for me. Remember, it's just my opinion(IMO). But I do disagree that you couldn't use the nova for live use. If you can a dd20, you could easily use the nova.

But that's something we can debate on in another thread.:BEER