Modfactor works with Voodoo Labs PP2+

nohjoh

I hate wall warts.

I just hooked up the modfactor up to my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus Power Supply. I used a larger barrell (2.5mm) adapter and put it on the higher power "L6" slot.
I also made sure the tip was + (with the switch)
(basically, I treated the Modfactor as if it was a Line6 DL4)

It worked.
Sounds great.
No noise issues - quiet both ways.

This pedal is cool.

lifeinsong

That's great if it works for you that way. Just be careful...there is a warning on the Eventide site about running their stompboxes that way. The warranty won't apply if you burn the pedal out while using the wrong voltage/amperage.

I suggest just using the supplied adaptor in the courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2+.

How are you doing that lifeinsong? Are you using a different adaptor to the Eventide one? The wallwart is large to go into a courtesy outlet. So you kind need to find a wallwart with a transformer and then a cable plug coming out of it (not sure why there aren't more adaptors like this.)

nohjoh

That's great if it works for you that way. Just be careful...there is a warning on the Eventide site about running their stompboxes that way. The warranty won't apply if you burn the pedal out while using the wrong voltage/amperage.

I suggest just using the supplied adaptor in the courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2+.

If it works, it works, right?

Truth is, pedal manufacturers have the option of either leaving the consumer to their own devices and letting them blow up their stuff because they are too underinformed to use it safely, giving them a 10-page brochure which explains enough to avoid trouble (if the person would read and comprehend it, and if it were written properly), or simply saying "Here, use this and ONLY this and your worries are over". Probably because of their too-cautious lawyers, they generally choose strategy C - because it's easy.

On the Eventide site they say using a different power supply is "possible" but "resulting damage won't be covered by warranty."
Easy to read between the lines. They are just covering their butts.

I feel like I know at least enough to make educated choices about mA, Voltage, barrell size polarity to make an educated stab it... If it didn't work, I would have no use for this pedal in my compact rig anyway. I think Eventide will sell a lot more pedals if people find out that they don't have to use their massive wall-wart.

Again. Cool pedal.
The power supply issue was the only reservation I would have had.

lifeinsong

Hey nohjoh, I totally hear what you're saying. It seems to me that it should be fine because the Eventide boxes are rated the same as the Line 6 stuff(1200ma)...I was just pointing out what they say on their site, wasn't sure if you read it or not.
I agree it would make things a whole lot easier than dealing with the wallwarts, just don't wanna fry anything...I have both the TimeFactor and ModFactor. Killer pedals!

nohjoh

:BEER
2008February139.jpg

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
yes, it will work fine, for a while. i tried a maxon tube overdrive into my older pp2 (not +) which only gave me 9v 100mA, when the maxon called for 150. it worked for about 3/4ths of the 1st set, then began fading out and coming back. it was overdrawing from the power supply, which was shutting down that outlet. i had to get the pp2+ for it's 9v 250 mA option just for this pedal. i suspect your eventide will end up cooking the pedal power if you keep doing it this way.

(edit: i just looked at line 6's pix of the dl4, and it says 1200mA AC, which shouldn't work at all on the pedal power 2+! sounds like an email to voodoo lab might be in order.)

lifeinsong

The PP2+ was specifically designed to power the Line 6 pedals...that's the main difference between the PP2 and PP2+

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The PP2+ was specifically designed to power the Line 6 pedals...that's the main difference between the PP2 and PP2+
hence my surprise at the power requirements of the line 6 pedal in question. the voodoo lab site says 250mA DC, the line 6 site says 1200mA AC. it shouldn't work at all!

slopeshoulder

How are you doing that lifeinsong? Are you using a different adaptor to the Eventide one? The wallwart is large to go into a courtesy outlet. So you kind need to find a wallwart with a transformer and then a cable plug coming out of it (not sure why there aren't more adaptors like this.)

get a Dr. Ferds wall wart remover. Plug it in wherever. Attach it to tthe bottom of your board. Works.

nohjoh

NEWS FLASH... so it messed up at my gig today. I scrolled through some presets really fast and I turned it on and it started flashing!!!
The unit goes in to true bypass mode when power fails so it didn't mess me up.
During a break, I disconnected then reconnected the power plug and then it started working fine again.

I guess they (and all you skeptics) are right... I guess it actually needs more than the 250mA the L6 outlet gives for some Modfactor uses.
Bummer... that wall-wart is REALLY too big.

I guess I'll look for some kind of short extension cord for the PP2+ courtesy outlet (that's all the Dr. Fred's unit is, right?)

Angle Loss

I have a Timefactor and will have a Modfactor tomorrow. They can be run off of a Pedal Power AC which offers 2 outputs that will put out 1200mA. I do have a PP2+ for my other stuff, but would rather have a PPAC sitting under my second tier than two of those overside adaptors!

edit: disregard this post! Do not use them with the PPAC! They take DC only.

trazan

I have a Timefactor and will have a Modfactor tomorrow. They can be run off of a Pedal Power AC which offers 2 outputs that will put out 1200mA. I do have a PP2+ for my other stuff, but would rather have a PPAC sitting under my second tier than two of those overside adaptors!

The Eventide stomps require DC. May I ask how you power them with PPAC?

Angle Loss

Quite right, trazan! I've been running my TF off of the adaptor. I guess I got mixed up in the head with the DL-4 I used to have.

nohjoh

yeah... don't use the PPAC!!! The user manual for that says:

"cAUTION:The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power AC should only be used with devices that require AC power. The device you’re trying to power should be clearly marked as needing 9VAC or 12VAC. If it isn’t, you need to verify its power requirements. Attempting to power a DC operated device with an AC power source can cause permanent damage!!"

Teahead

I've been trying to power my Timefactor with the Burkey Flatliner to no avail. Burkey are great guys and made a rectifier to take the 9v AC 1000mA output and turn it to DC, the Timefactor will not power up with this, it flashes a single strip of lights on the matrix display, but no more. Returning to the Eventide supply it works perfectly.

This week I hope to try a parallel cable to give the TF 9v at 400mA and see what happens, I seriously doubt it will work though. I've read that someone clocked the TF at 350mA without midi hooked up, but perhaps it pulls much more than that at power up?

Also, the official supply says something about 9v 1200mA 10.8VA anyone know what that means? I notice the L6 DL-4 runs at 12v from various multi-supplies, not 9v, so is the Timefactor requiring closer to 12v too?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom