1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Modified Bad Monkey on eBay - Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Macaroni, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

2. Zero

Zero Member

"Enhances bass" ??? It has a ton of bass stock. That's just ridiculous. Some people can't use stock anything I guess.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I had an email exchange with the guy who mods and sell them, he seems OK. I'm sure with the upgraded components it makes a difference -- I've considered trying one myself.

4. Guitar Desire

Guitar Desire Active Member

I agree so you should contact all the Keelies out there tell 'em to stop modding stuff and then tell all the effects geeks that they should get a grip and spend more time playing guitar(or learning how to in the first place) restrict foums to disallow effects wankers postings (that should effectively clear 90% of traffic here) Let me know how that goes....

5. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I think pedal modding is generally interesting/useful, but more bass on a Bad Monkey?

You've got to be kidding me. There's a BASS control. It's bassy enough to play with a BASS. I've done it, to good effect.

6. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

He seems to have a very generic, vague description. But I suppose it is only $20 or something more than a stock new one. But then again, for all you know the dude could just be selling stock ones and saying that they're modded. Who's really going to bother to check. My hunch is that folks that are looking at these low end pedals (albeit decent sounding for the money) wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

Unless he is more specific about the differences or posts clips in the auctions, it hardly seems worth it.

7. ndsudma

ndsudma Member

From the notes and language on the e-Bay posting, I think he's done the Indyguitarist mods to the Bad Monkey. The mod that Indy sells lists a change to increase transparency, and a separate mod to make it useable for bass guitar.

For what it's worth, I've done those mods myself to my Bad Monkey (just the transparency one), and actually like the new modded pedal a lot.

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Maybe it's great, haven't heard it not gonna knock it. That said I am personally not interested in modding a $40 pedal.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

How much are the IG mods and how easy is it to install?

10. ndsudma

ndsudma Member

I bought Indyguitarist's entire "book" which has a lot of mods for the popular "entry-level" pedals. If you're comfortable with a soldering/desoldering iron, they're very easy. Most just require simple part substitutions.

As always, I have no connection with Indyguitarist. I'm just a satisfied customer who likes to tinker with things like this. :)

11. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

A modded digitech pedal. Now I've seen it all. C'mon guys. Thes things are like $40.00new on sale at GC. Why would I pay $30.0 bucks more for $1.50 worth of parts. I realize the guy has some time invested but at the end of the day, if you want to resell it, IT's still a digitech and it's only gonna fetch maybe $20.00

My .02

Scott

12. n8b

n8b Member

Most (if not all) of the components in the Bad Monkey are surface mount. If he changed any of those components, he definitely earned his $30 in my mind (whether or not the changes increased the tone or value of the pedal, that's another thing altogether). I opened up a Screaming Blues with intent to mod, but decided changing surface mount components was not for me. (hmmm, do I see replacement boards being dropped into pedals in our future....j/k of course)