Modified Suhr T

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I have had this guitar for a long time---over 10 years at least. Ash body, QS maple neck, 56 Big V, SS frets. When I ordered it, it had a black pickguard, Suhr SSV in the neck and regular Suhr T pickup in the bridge. 5 way wiring for splits and other stuff I ended up not using much live.

Here is what it looked like new:

I love the SSV pickup, and have it in 2 other Suhrs. However, in this guitar, it did not work well and was kind of dark. I put a Lollar Imperial in there and it was much clearer and had more sweetness and chime.

In the meantime, I went thru about 5 bridge pickups as well. Since this was a workhorse guitar, I finally realized I wanted it totally noiseless. I tried several great single coils before deciding I could not take the hum in one club in particular. I settled on a Dimarzio Chopper T and loved it. But I did not like the black rail look and pulled the pickup and ground off the paint. That is some tough stuff!

I ditched the 5 way wiring for a simple 3 way. Much simpler and what I was using anyway.

Then I had Suhr make me a black pearl guard for a little contrast. I replaced the chrome knobs for Fender 72 Custom knobs, in a nod to one of my favorite guitars.

Eventually, I replaced the worn Wilkinson saddles with an old set of Mann saddles I had laying around.

The guitar has a lot of bumps and bruises now, but the frets are sill perfect, and it just sounds great. This guitar can cover any kind of music. Here it is today:

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Steve, she's a beauty!
Thanks! It is interesting how the non-nitro finish has pretty much endured the elements.

We play A LOT of humid, sweaty gigs around here on the Gulf Coast. Saturday night, we even had a salty breeze blowing on us playing a club over the bay. Due to these sticky conditions, I would rather not have a nitro finished guitar. This finish is thin, but still durable and protecting the wood. However, where my forearm rests, the finish has cracked (probably due to body heat) and worn away the black to some kind of grey or white topcoat.

The originally satin neck is now very smooth, but never sticky. I keep 11-52's on this guitar, and the frets are still perfect.

The color of the neck is darker now as well. It was ordered as vintage tint, but Suhr called me and said it did not come out that way and would build me another neck if I wanted it, but it would take a month. They sent a picture. I turned them down, because it looked great anyway. Now it has acquired the tint over time.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Isn´t the big V the best thing in the whole world? :)
Yes. My favorite neck carves are big V necks. Both my Asher guitars have really big V necks, starting at .93 at the 1st fret.

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
Looks great, Steve. My number one Suhr is a T with a fat C carve and wide nut. I kind of thought it would be my go-to humbucker only guitar but with the 5-way and tone push/pull it covers pretty much every tonal need I have (unless i need a trem and my Suhr S is for that). It's traveled all over the world with me and, besides some tarnished pickup covers, it's still perfect. Currently, it has SSH+ and SSV...thinking about changing them out to Thornbuckers.

edit: BTW, I too like the quiet Dimarzios ad have them in another Tele. Went with the Area T 615 and love it.

Last edited:
I bet it plays as well as it looks!

Looks great, Steve. My number one Suhr is a T with a fat C carve and wide nut. I kind of thought it would be my go-to humbucker only guitar but with the 5-way and tone push/pull it covers pretty much every tonal need I have (unless i need a trem and my Suhr S is for that). It's traveled all over the world with me and, besides some tarnished pickup covers, it's still perfect. Currently, it has SSH+ and SSV...thinking about changing them out to Thornbuckers.

edit: BTW, I too like the quiet Dimarzios ad have them in another Tele. Went with the Area T 615 and love it.
this is a looker too! that neck looks sweet!

teletalkin

Gold Supporting Member
Steve, I really like the new look.....the guard is exceptional. Are the saddles stainless steel? I just put a set of GOTOH In Tune Titanium saddles on my tele. I really like them so far.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Steve, I really like the new look.....the guard is exceptional. Are the saddles stainless steel? I just put a set of GOTOH In Tune Titanium saddles on my tele. I really like them so far.
Nick, these are old compensated brass saddles from John Mann. I don't think he even makes them any more but they are really well done.

teletalkin

Gold Supporting Member
I see.....the above pics looked as if they could have been stainless steel. I've got some old Barden compensated saddles that work well too. Your Suhr looks fantastic with the updates!

Trending Topics