Modify a power tele to nashville tele???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by noodleboy, Mar 30, 2015.

1. noodleboy

noodleboy Member

I have a 2000/01 Fender "power telecaster" American made with 2 vintage noiseless pups and the fishman power bridge(piezo). I'd like to add a strat pup in the middle of the 2 tele pup like the Nashville version. I understand the the body is routed for the additional pup. I have not verified that yet but I will.
    I'm wondering if adding the strat pup is as simple as installing the pup and changing the selector switch from 3 positions to 5 position.
    The volume and tone knobs are "stacked" so I'm not sure if any alteration will be needed there as well. There is also a mini toggle between the stacked knobs to blend pups.
    Stacked knobs are volume bottom and tone top for magnetic pups up front and the back knob is the same for the piezo.
    Any info and opinions welcome and thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I can't say for sure about the mod you want to perform but those were really cool Tele's that were only in production for two years. If that is the guitar you own it looks pretty close to mint and I would personally swap the pups for something with a bit more power like a Dimarzio Fast Track-1 or the stacked humbuckers of your preference not to kill the value of the guitar. Then again it is your axe and if you play it heavily good luck doing the mods you want. She's a beauty!

3. noodleboy

noodleboy Member

This is not my guitar but mine is in really good shape as well.I've only had it for about a month but it is my #1 already and there is a Nashville power tele for sale here at 450.00 that has the set up I'm talking about except I don't think it has the fishman preamp in it. I do use the acoustic tone for 3 or 4 tune a night so I was just thinking about the mod to give me one more option. That would complete me, and I'll never need another guitar as long as I live. Yeah right :) I'll consider your fix though. Makes sense to not affect the value. Thanks.

4. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I have a MIM Fender Nashville Deluxe Power Tele that I modded heavily. Obviously, your guitar and mine share some features, but are very different. In mine, the route is a swimming pool route, which accepted the Dimarzio area 61 I swapped into the middle easily with no additional routing needed. You can verify the route easily enough by taking a quick look under the pickguard. The addition of the middle pickup should only need the switch swap--the existing coincentric stacked pots should be fine since you are staying with a single coil for the mid.

I agree with straycat113--your guitar looks great, and as a US instrument, I wouldn't think of doing to your guitar what I did to mine--carving it up and hot-rodding it out... (I ground the bridge off to make it short and installed TV Jones TV Classics in the neck and bridge position. 4 position switch, 500K stacked pots for the magnetic pups. The power bridge still works and is passable for accoustic tones.) My guitar is now a player guitar and one that I won't sell--but yours has too much value to do that with IMHO.

Check out the area series pickups from Dimarzio--they offer several strat sets and a tele set as well. They sound great, and have more sparkle and life than many noiseless single coil sets I've heard.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

If you get an appropriate middle pickup, a 5-way switch, and some solder, you should be fine... BUT...

I don't know how the RWRP thing works with a guitar like that. You might need an RWRP middle pickup to make it work right.

It should be great, and that guitar SHOULD have a swimming pool route under there, which means no routing.

Just get a new pickguard and keep the old one just in case you ever want to go back or if you want to sell the instrument with that option for the buyer.

6. noodleboy

noodleboy Member

Pardon my ignorance Pietro but RWRP. Don't know what this means. I was thinking anything I do can be reversed though so were on the same page there. Thanks,

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

reverse wound reverse polarity.

I don't know if it matters on the Noiseless pickups. I would think it does, though.

When the center pickup is RWRP, you get more of the typical strat 2 and 4 sounds you might be looking for.

8. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I have a regular ol' Nashville and find the middle pup useful in many ways.