• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Modify pickguard to adjust truss rod on xotic strat?

Kzin

I love my xotic strat, except for the trussrod at neck heel crap (and the stupid tuners). Is it possible to remove a piece of the pickguard to be able to adjust the truss rod without having to remove the neck? Or would you have to remove wood from the body as well?

cheezit

Why would you need to adjust the truss rod that often? I'm in a temperate, mild climate, so maybe my experience is unusual, but it's like once a year if that, or if i change string gauges.

Kzin

Why would you need to adjust the truss rod that often? I'm in a temperate, mild climate, so maybe my experience is unusual, but it's like once a year if that, or if i change string gauges.
I suppose I could just take it to a tech a couple of times a year.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
It's your guitar and not a colletor's item. But sight unseen my guess is that dremeling a little divot to make access easier would remove a small amount of wood.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
It's your guitar and not a colletor's item. But sight unseen my guess is that dremeling a little divot to make access easier would remove a small amount of wood.
Like what I did here ...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...strat-supersport-pickups-body-bridge.2192423/

[edit]
The other point is whether you have an "X" shaped truss rod nut or one requiring a hex key. Stewmac has a right angle screwdriver for the former, and cutting off an end of a standard hex key for the latter is the standard solution.
[/edit]

... Thom

Last edited:

modavis99

Gold Supporting Member
Get the $5 stew Mac tool. Then you only have to remove the pick guard to adjust the truss

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Get the $5 stew Mac tool. Then you only have to remove the pick guard to adjust the truss
Not with pickguard mounted Strat pickups. You would have to remove the strings as well - once for each tweak of the rod.

... Thom

modavis99

Gold Supporting Member
Not with pickguard mounted Strat pickups. You would have to remove the strings as well - once for each tweak of the rod.

... Thom
I have an LsL strat with pickguard mounted pickups and a truss rod adjustment at the heel. I had to loosen the strings but then was able to move the pickguard and adjust the truss using the Stewmac tool without having to remove the neck. This is an HSS strat as well

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
I have an LsL strat with pickguard mounted pickups and a truss rod adjustment at the heel. I had to loosen the strings but then was able to move the pickguard and adjust the truss using the Stewmac tool without having to remove the neck. This is an HSS strat as well
Swimming pool route (on the LSL) for the pickups? This won't work for standard routing (the pickguatd can't be slid backwards).

... Thom

johnh

How often do you guys adjust your truss rods? It’s probably once every 10 years for me. Why do you need to adjust it more often than that?

and even if you do, I don’t get what the big deal is about slackening the strings, loosening the neck bolts and tweaking it.

i know that I like more traditional appointments, but I personally think that externally adjustable trussrods look ghastly.

everyone to their own.

modavis99

Gold Supporting Member
Swimming pool route (on the LSL) for the pickups? This won't work for standard routing (the pickguatd can't be slid backwards).

... Thom
not swimming pool. I lift up and slide over. That’s what the strings have to be (really) loose. On any other instrument I’d capo the 1st fret and loosen the neck but the LsL web site at one point told you not to do that - not sure why

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
How often do you guys adjust your truss rods? It’s probably once every 10 years for me. Why do you need to adjust it more often than that?

and even if you do, I don’t get what the big deal is about slackening the strings, loosening the neck bolts and tweaking it.

i know that I like more traditional appointments, but I personally think that externally adjustable trussrods look ghastly.

everyone to their own.
I had one neck that seemed to shift every couple of months. After 7 or 8 years, it finally stabilized to needing a seasonal change (twice/year), like my other necks. I'm in Colorado, where my indoor climate is really stable - going from dry (Summer) to very dry (Winter).

I like to undershoot my adjustments, which can mean two, or occaisionally three adjustment cycles to get it right. With neck removal, this can be a royal pain, so yeah, the access slot works for me ;-)
not swimming pool. I lift up and slide over. That’s what the strings have to be (really) loose. On any other instrument I’d capo the 1st fret and loosen the neck but the LsL web site at one point told you not to do that - not sure why
So essentially, you're loosening to the point where the pickups clear the body (coming close to removing the strings), no?

Of course, those who use locking tuners would be in a world of hurt with this method (only half of a wrap around the post). They'd have to remove the strings, and it's a royal pain to re-install strings onto locking tuners (having to pinch a different spot so the string doesn't break).

I think LsL uses vintage tuners (my preference as well), so this wouldn't be a problem for you.

I'm guessing that LsL doesn't want folks stripping the threads on the neck (repeated removal/re-tightening). I'm not a big fan of constant loosening/tightening either, so yours and my methods are preferrable to neck removal.

... Thom

Last edited:

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I cut some perfect very small notches into my CS strat pickguards and body to adjust the truss rods. I don’t want to be removing pickguards every year. I use the telecaster tool as shown above from Stew Mac to adjust the neck when needed.

Trending Topics