Modifying a footswitch from 1/4" to RCA

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Trotter, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I have a single button footswitch with a 1/4" jack

I'd like to modify the footswitch so I can use it with a different amp that has a RCA jack.

Is there a wiring diagram that illustrates how to do this?

Thanks

2. zenas

zenas Member

Used to be able to buy an adaptor at Radio Shack for that. Used to be able to buy tubes there too.

Real simple I assume this is a shielded cord but no matter just hook up the wire or shield that does to the outside of the old plug to the out side of the new plig. And of course the other wire goes to the tip on both plugs.

3. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Would this be the adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GP...F8&qid=1426177692&sr=8-7&keywords=1/4"+to+rca

http://www.radioshack.com/shielded-...1-4-mono-phone-jack/2740909.html#.VQG9zXuunWE

I'd prefer the adapter route if at all possible!

4. zenas

zenas Member

Looks like it yeah just do that.
    Don't know if anyone makes a good RCA plug anymore. I scored a life time supply of NOS ones like Fender used on pedals and reverb cables back in the 60s. My guess is anything new would be from China with plastic that melts when you solder it together.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used the adapters with good results for just this purpose. The only problem is that it sticks out quite a bit from the back of the amp!

6. Ronitor

Ronitor Member

I went the other route and changed the rca input on the amp to a 1/4 jack instead, same 2 point connections to desolder/solder and no extra connection, space, etc from using an adapter on the footswitch plug.

7. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Neutrik - $18 each @ Mouser

[​IMG]