Modifying the middle position 'quack' on a 2-pickup guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hessodreamy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Member

You know that thing, where you have both pickups on and there's a slight drop in some mid frequencies? You get it to some extent on most/all two-pickup guitars, but on this one guitar it's a bit too pronounced and I'd like to reduce it.

I put some jazzmaster pickups in a jaguar. A big change, and pickup positioning was always going to be largely guesswork. I put them pretty much where the jag pickup polepieces would have been, except maybe moved the neck pickup a bit closer to the bridge, as it would have been right up against the neck pocket.

Is this effect something that can be tweaked by pickup hight (tried it without much success), or altering volume controls for each pickup (I'm thinking of adding independent volume controls)? Or does it just come down to pickup position? Do the pickups need to be further apart?

Oh, I've checked and the pickups are NOT wired out of phase. It's not THAT thin!

Any suggestions?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

Nope, it is what it is.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

With separate volume controls a blend can be had, but ultimately the limit is defined n by the position.

4. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Member

That's what I thought. I might have a play with the position. Time to get the power tools out...