Modtone Power Plant (Pedal Power 2 clone?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ized, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ized

Ized Member

http://www.modtone-effects.com/Power-Plant-Variable-Voltage-En1.html

looks like an improved version/clone of the PP2+ to me and it even features a 9v AC port!

Fully isolated just like the PP2 as well. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with these babies?

Switchable voltage would allow it to be used in Europe and USA without any issues unlike the PP2 which you have to have the right version or face the issue of using a step down transformer.

2. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Looks pretty promising to me. It does everything that I use my Juicebox for.... 9v's, 12v's, 18v's and an 9vAC. It's 7.25" x 3.5" x 2" tall. It's got a courtesy outlet and European power too. Anybody know the price?

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It could be a real contender (provided it's quiet, of course). Good find!

4. KBN

KBN Member

It doesn't look like it would power a DD-20 or anything like that. Each output will only put out 150 mA. Plenty of juice in most situations, but that is a deal breaker for me. Good looking unit though. I wish the Voodoo Lab units had the dip switches on the back instead of the bottom.

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

That's a drawback, yes. To power a DD-20 (which needs close to 200mA) or Holy Grail (225mA), you'd need to combine two 9vDC outputs in parallel (regular daisy chain connection, with two plugs in the power supply and a third in the pedal). That'd give you 9vDC, 300mA.

If you have a bunch of regular 9vDC pedals and a 9vAC one, though, it could be just the ticket.

6. Ized

Ized Member

Ah yes which is why im hoping somebody could chime in on this(despite that being rather unlikely cos these are quite new) Btw I really like the list of power supplies on your page as its really comprehensive and informative and i keep going back to it as a reference tool!

It seems like Modtone has a serious contender for power supplies in a similar vein as the PP2+ and Supacharger.

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

True.... why can't somebody just make something that does what the people want? I really wish that Voodoo Labs would put an 9vAC tap on their Pedal Power and not make you purchase a separate unit. I like my Juicebox.... but it's not going to be easy to replace if I ever need and it's big. You shouldn't have to pay that much for a power supply to do everything you need and if somebody can just mass produce it they would sell a ton of them.

8. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

How much are these going for? They look pretty sweet, although I think the PP2+ is still probably superior.

9. hairsonmychest

hairsonmychest Member

so... that AC9v plug... can it run a digitech whammy?

10. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Looks promising!

11. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Well they're selling for $189 so its more than the PP2. Anyone get one yet?