Modulation help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Whiper11, May 1, 2016.

1. Whiper11

Whiper11 Member

Hi all

Getting it out of the way early, I'm not overly familiar with modulation, a modulation novice/virgin if you will. I use the tremelo and reverb on my Vox 15 a little and find that's a nice wrinkle, but use them sparingly so you have to listen hard to realise they are there.

I should say as well that I use a Boss DM-2 Waza delay and have fun using that. Not that adventurous but use it to thickening things up a little.

I'm looking to add a little variety to my sound. Presently I use a few forms of overdrive, boost, distortion fuzz etc. Liking the results but looking to add something else to just mess around with that won't totally take over but just spice things up a little. I'm not trying to replicate any particular sound or song.

Is there a modulation type out there that gives you good bang for buck across different styles. I'd rather try something that can be used in a variety of circumstances rather than a very specific modulation that maybe only gets used once in a blue moon.

Suggestions? I'll most likely pick up the relevant Boss pedal to try it out.

2. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

A good place to start would be a versatile phaser with multiple stage settings. IMO, the best bang-for-the-buck would be a used Empress phaser from the emporium. It does a million things, going from subtle thickening to full-on vibe, and everything in between. The envelope control is a nice option as well. It also has both mix and blend.

edit: just looked, and there don't appear to be any right now, but there are usually a few for $220-$250. That's a great deal for the sound quality and everything it's capable of. I bought one when they were first released, and I've never been able to kick it off my board. I've had classic MXRs, a Whetstone, Mobius, Boss, and a Subdecay Quasar DLX. Nothing has come close for me.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. Whiper11

Whiper11 Member

Dam just been into the emporium for the first time.

Gonna have to stay well away from that joint. I'll be divorced in no time.

4. jawajt

jawajt Member

I suggest the Source Audio Gemini Chorus. Although it's primarily a chorus, it also does flanger, phaser, leslie, and univibe sounds, via the software and toggle positions. Very versatile and inexpensive. Love mine. I think chorus is one of the more versatile modulation sounds. With a good chorus pedal, you can get thick, chewy chorus sounds, faux flanger sounds, leslie sounds, and pitch vibrato.
    Another one to look at is the Ventura Vibe. It covers univibe, pitch vibrato, and leslie sounds.

gibs5000 likes this.
  5. DCMC Worship

DCMC Worship Member

It depends on the style of music you play. I'll mention the Red Witch Empress Chorus. It can go from subtle to full on dizzying! I use it subtly to add some depth to certain tones but sometimes it's fun to experiment.
    Lush, warm sound.

6. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

A Fulltone MDV-1 deja vibe is a fantastic pedal that doesn't cost a lot and is a lot of fun. Think Hendrix, Trower and Gilmour with some SRV thrown in for good measure! They're around $150 new.

7. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

If this thread is like most "I need a simple X pedal" threads here, you're probably gonna get recommended a lot of 6-10 knob feature-laden stuff that borders on, or IS boutique, used by guys with boards that resemble an airplane cockpit, along with a sales pitch about filter sweeps, tap tempo, and the magical components that make up the $300.00 box of overkill that you didn't ask for.

I'll address your request more practically: MXR phase 90. 1 knob for speed. Experiment with placement in your chain for more or less of the phase effect over dirts and other effects. Cheap, fun, versatile, reliable legend without having to run midi or something ridiculous that a novice has no use for. I would also recommend an Ibanez CS9 Chorus. 2 knobs. Also cheap and well built. Easy-Peezy. Enjoy.

zul, gibs5000 and Kilometers Davis like this.
  8. Eppo

Eppo Member

I'm recommending you a MXR phase 90. It is a really easy to use phase pedal with only one switch. They are really loved by a hope people and if you put it in front of the distortion/drive/boost/fuzz things it can create awesome sounds

9. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Another vote for the Ventura Vibe. Great sounding pedal at most settings, lots of options.
    The Phase 90 advice is also solid. If you like it, you might consider doing the extremely easy R28 modification.

Then, for the price of most pedals (or less), you could pick up a Zoom CDR or MS50G and use it as a sampler for just about every basic modulation you can imagine. Trems, chorus, phaser, pitch shift, rotary, all in one box. Boss sized box. All sound pretty good, some sound great. If you find your self zeroing in on a setting, then you can start refining your search for that particular effect.

10. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

11. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus was my first modulation pedal. Basic good sounding chorus. Has stereo outputs if you decide to start experimenting.

12. 9520575

9520575 Member

Seriously grab a multi effect unit.
    Like the line 6 modulation or the new Zoom multi effect units.

13. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I was gonna say the same, other than the SA pedals may be a bit intimidating at first when diving into the app. Especially for a modulation novice.