Modulation - What's currently on your board?

longgonedaddy

Supporting Member
Fulltone Supatrem Jr on the warble wave setting
Keeley Roto Sonic on the Leslie setting
Keeley Verb o Trem workstation, univibe set to a slow, mid depth, wash

looking for a simple mutli mod with flanger, chorus, and phaser for when I get the itch

I play plain old Rock’n’Roll and Americana, with hints of surf and garage

I R P

I have a Synesthesia for ambient stuff, but for everything else I pretty much only use tremolo.

RicOkc

Hard blues, classic rock.

Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Roto-Machine
Line 6 Trem
Keeley Vibe (Monterey pedal)
Boss DD-7
Thomas Organ Co, Wah (Modded)

Buck Woodson

Supporting Member
Dlx Electric Mistress with an Xotic X-Blender to adjust mix and volume...all my mild detune, chorus, and flanger needs in an analog solution. At times, I use a Mini Vent and a Surfy Trem.
I like my big box DMM so much I've thought about getting a vintage Mistress. But would I like it or use it much? Or too much? IDK.

Can you really get flange AND chorus out of a vintage Electric Mistress? Which one(s) are the one(s) to get and/or avoid?

Mobius
Play : anything
I've recently been seduced by the TimeLine and BigSky so I've been considering the Mobius but I'm not in love with the demos so IDK. Also it didn't fare all that well in the following comparison with classic analog mod pedals.

Whereas the Strymon analog dry through philosophy works well with the time based effects maybe it just wouldn't be right with mod effects. I should just try one out for myself but I'll probably be seduced just like what happened with the other two Strymon big boxes.

Last edited:
Playing ambient/drone at the moment.

Board in flux, but includes some or all of:

• OBNE Dweller
  • Ibanez PH7 Phaser
  • Mr. Black Tunnelworm Flanger
  • EBS Bass Chorus
  • Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl
  • Chase Bliss Gravitas
  • Line6 FM4 Filter Modeller
  • Zoom MS-70CDR
  • Zoom MS-100BT
P&W board dismantled, wondering if I can get away with just a Zoom Multistomp when services re-start.

Cormorant_

Supporting Member
The more things change.

Nocturne Mystery Brain for quick vibe on wet delays
VFE Choral Reef
Coldcraft Harmonic Tremolo
Surfy Bear Compact Reverb (wow!)

earwax

Playing ambient/drone at the moment.

Board in flux, but includes some or all of:

• OBNE Dweller
  • Ibanez PH7 Phaser
  • Mr. Black Tunnelworm Flanger
  • EBS Bass Chorus
  • Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl
  • Chase Bliss Gravitas
  • Line6 FM4 Filter Modeller
  • Zoom MS-70CDR
  • Zoom MS-100BT
P&W board dismantled, wondering if I can get away with just a Zoom Multistomp when services re-start.
why two Multistomps? I just got the CDR and am impressed but the biggest reason for me to get another would be to have a backup for when and if my current one fails.

thanemuzika

rock/metal

dunlop crybaby classic wah
chorus courtesy of the Boss Ch-1 and maxon asc-9. Sometimes from the boss dd-7 modulated delay mode.
flanger from mxr evh flanger
phaser from boss ph-1r (2), soon to be add on mxr evh phase 90

70's outfit/my project band

vox v846hw wah
rotary/vibe courtesy of Boss RT-20
tremolo by voodoo lab tremolo

cover band via boss gt-10 multieffects.

Swijak

EQD Pyramids
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Boss RT-20

My EQD Pyramids just made it back on my big board at the front of the signal chain set to thru-zero-flanger mode for a light doubling effect. After my drives I have a Visual Sound H2O that splits the signal into stereo with a very light chorus on one side. That gets fed into my delays (DD-20 has all delays set to modulated delay now) then finally just before the reverb is my Boss RT-20.

While they are not on my board I still have, use, and recommend the following modulation devices.
Boss BF-2 (This was on my three pedal board for years)
Marshal SV-1 Supervibe - This does a good rotary imitation with the speed turned up
Visual Sound H20 V1 - I have two of these. I bought them both new and used them for a long time. I ran two for a long time one with short delay/Slow chorus the other with longer delay rotary type chorus. These were replaced by my Boss DD-20 and Boss BF2 on small board but they seem to never stay in the box for long as these sound great and are really useful.
Boss DD-2 - The DD-2 can also be used as a chorus. On modulated delay set to 4ms to about 20 ms gets a really good chorus sound.
Mooer ELady - Great size and pretty good sound.
Mooer Ensemble King - Same as above. Does a very good Boss CE-2 and has a level control!
Boss CE-2 - This is the oldest pedal I still have and was one of the first pedals I ever bought. I bought it new at Bobby's Music in Denver for $80. This was the mid to early 80's I had to save for almost a year. The power jack broke after about three years and I semi-retired it.
Ibanez AD-230 Multi Delay/Flanger- This was a huge hunk of metal I bought for $15 at the Starving Musician in San Jose in the early '90s. It was beat up but worked great. Best analog delay ever. The Flanger section sounds amazing. I gigged with this until '05 sitting on top of my amp then in an SKB pedalboard case with a 6-space rack. It was very heavy and cumbersome and I got tired of carrying it around pretty fast.

skiltrip

Supporting Member
I play surf, rock, & punk/hardcore.
My mod pedals are Boss CH-1 Chorus, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, and Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato. I'm not big on Phasers or Flangers.

TheSpricket

I like to be a purist and stand by the fact that all effects are not modulation. Modulation is modulation. Tremolo, wah, phaser (especially), and other effects aren't modulation. This is why I love the sound of a phaser before and only sometimes after gain.

So my favorite modulation pedal is my CE2W. It just sounds beautiful, totally classic, and very usable. I mostly use it fast in vibe mode but the CE2 slow chorus is just a total delight.

I also just started using my Canyon Delay as a multi modulation tool, and only sometimes a tap digital delay. With the hidden controls I leave the delay at minimum and go between a few of the delay modes to get a few different sounds. Mostly Flanger but also a dope sounding ring mod, a doubler, and another slow chorus.

I started using this delay as a modulation machine because I just prefer the simple warm echo from my Memory Toy analog delay. Which also had a nice mod!

Fu Schnickens

Tremolo is not modulation, is it? More time/volume based? Vibrato would be modulation because it actually modulates the signal and changes pitch.

I have Boss green label BF-2 and MXR Univibe on the main board, and EHX Electric Mistress on board 2, with a Boss tremolo sometimes. Dunlop wah, of course.

I play rock of all kinds. I like the loud stuff. In BC times (Before COVID) I had a modern rock cover band. Now, I'm not so sure.