Modules for my Egnater MOD50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m4tt, Feb 29, 2008.

1. m4tt

m4tt Member

I am picking up an Egnater MOD50 very soon and need help narrowing down some modules. I like the whole concept, so ultimately I plan on owning a bunch of them. However, at this point, I can only afford 2.

The current project dictates a lot of pop-rock-punk sorta teenage stuff. So I am leaning towards Twin/Deluxe and something higher gain. I come from a Marshall background so typically I went for the SL2 -- however, tons of those guys are playing Mesas. MHG Module perhaps?

TGP's gotta have the answer!

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Oh boy, get ready. You will LOVE the Mod50, but prepare for M.A.S. (Module Acquisition Syndrome).

I have the T/D, VX, SL2, and COD modules. I had the EG5 but sold it. IMHO, the T/D and SL2 should cover everything you need for the style you mentioned. I can't recommend the SL2 more highly as a high gain module. It's fantastic. It's cops the JCM800 and hot-rod Marshall thing really well, but to my ears it actually does modern rock/nu-metal very well also, if you EQ it right. It has more gain than you can imagine. I never push the gain control past noon.

I've not played the MHG, and I don't see many people who have. I'm not sure why that is...most guys seem to opt for the SL2 or EG3/4/5 when choosing a high-gain module.

The only module I was not crazy about was the EG5. There was a certain fizziness in the high end that I found unpleasant and could not get rid of. Might be right up your alley if you like the Mesa Recto thing - I know a lot of guys love that module.

3. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

I have the SL2 and the Bman modules and love both. I plan on buying the E2 when it becomes available and their new 8-channel foot switch and I will probably add the T/D and VX modules for one rockin' set up...

4. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

The cant live without moduls are the SL2 and T/D, that being said the bassman is really cool as is the vox, also for what I would consider modern gain I actually like some of the randall modules such as the recto and Ultra XL, EG 5 was not my thing nor was the COD, I have had the MHG and some of the others like eg3/4 and always came back to the SL2

check out grailtone website I think its grailtone.com

5. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

The T/D is great or you could go with the VX for your clean/crunch. Really good. I'd go with the SL2 as it is fantastic or the EG5. You can put some different type pre amp tubes to tame it down a bit. It's amazing too, but more along the SLO lines probably than Marshall whereas the SL2 is pure Marshall. I get great neck blues tones with the EG5 too. You would never think that, but it's really cool. I guess I didn't help you narrow it down...........sorry!

6. m4tt

m4tt Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like the SL2 might be the thing for now...

what kind of tubes are you guys using? (twin/dlx + sl2)

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I think most of the guys really like the Tung Sol 5881's. Seem to do a good job of "the best of both worlds" for the clean and crunch. A guy on Rig Talk just mentioned the new Tung Sol EL34B as a good option if you hang on the Marshall tones more. I've got several sets. The winged C EL34's are great too. I've got the 5881's in there now. the JJ 6V6 is also a lot of fun. Knocks the wattage down to like 20 and 5 on low power.

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I played a friends MOD50 today. He had the SL2 and T/D modules. Really liked the D in overdriven mode. With a tele it was a sweet pushed vintagey Fender blackface with a hint of Bassman.

The SL2 was de-lish. Very smooth NOT buzzy and really poured on the compression with the preamp gain. Great sustain and clarity. Loved the amp.