Modulus Graphite Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bilbal, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

Does anyone know where one might look to find a Modulus Graphite guitar? Information on either the Blackknife series or any of the 3 Genesis series guitar would be appreciated.

Bill

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

EBay or Gbase .They are super rare though .

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

4. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

I've had my Modulus for about 25 years...a custom guitar. I lived in the Bay Area, and being a fan of the Dead I went to their shop in SF, when Jeffrey was still there. I loved the guitars but could not afford one.

I found a used neck for sale and traded a strat for it. This was an all-grahite neck with the woven pattern, not the particle board look that came latter. I saw this nice used strat walnut body in a guitar store and bought it. Then I took the neck and body to Jeffrey and asked him to put it together...I changed the pickups to EMGs and the hard trail bridge to a Kahler. I've read people not liking the Kahler, but I never had a tremolo I liked more, really smooth and stays in tune. The guitar sounds great to me.

Anyway, to make a long story short, when I brought the stuff to Jeffrey, he said, "That's one of our bodies." I didn't know it. It ended up being my #1 guitar for about 20 years...still love it. The hollow graphite neck gives a liveliness to the sound, like new strings that never go dead, and a very acoustic sound. Beautiful solid walnut on the body...sort of Alembic like... but a little on the heavy side.

I sometimes think about selling it, mostly play a Suhr Classic S now, but that Modulus Graphite guitar has been with me so long I'm attached.

I don't know how to do pics but if I figure it out I'll post some pics.

5. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

Let's see if this works.

[​IMG]

6. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

7. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

that is a gorgeous guitar, Alaskaguitar.
    If you're ever thinking of selling, please let me know!!

8. Maxer

Maxer Member

Yep, that's some beauty, all right... love the warmth of the wood and that rich grain. That thing looks like it would play like butter. Total keeper.

9. deoreo

deoreo Member

Alaskaguitar - Very cool story, and the guitar is just beautiful!

An original, real deal, superstrat! :cool: My favorite type of guitar, and from that era, too - Awesome!

10. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

Thanks for the comments fellow guitaraholics! She is a keeper. Here is a pic of the neck, which I posted last night but somehow is gone. One of the nice things about these necks is that they are not affected by humdidty/temperature etc. They do not shrink and I never get the fret ends sticking out, like I do in other guitars...I live in a very dry climate. But the main thing is that the stiffness and hollow neck have a big positive effect on tone.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bilbal

bilbal Member

Alaska: That thing is killer. Good for you. There is nothing like a Modulus guitar neck. I owned a couple Genesis (I and II) and while they were great guitars, they were nothing like the full graphite necks. I really lilke the look of that guitar a lot Alaska. I loved to check it out but I'm in CT. I don't understand people ragging on the necks and saying they are tinny and bright. All three of mine were the warmest most toneful guitars I have ever played. Oh well, to each his own right? I owned the very last Bob Weir Signature for 6 years. I unfortunately had to sell it for personal reasons and I will never forgive myself for having to get rid of it. I have been looking for it for about 7 years or so, every morning and every night before I go to bed. It's long gone. I hate to talk about it. The other night I did a google search and found a blackknife. I couldn't believe it. I sent the store an email and the guy that runs it must have been looking at his email accounts and answered me back within about ten minutes. I put the down payment on it with borrowed cash. The dude told me it was a chandler body. Modulus use to use Chandler bodies for a while I guess. I just talked to Mr Gould yesterday. I wanted him to look at what I found and tell me what he thought of it. I sent him a picture and come to find out it is an original Blackknife 3H (Modulus made). He suggested I get it as soon as possible because the price is waaaaaaaaay low. It now has a brand new owner. It should be here in a couple of weeks.
    This picture is very bright. Anyone that knows Modulus knows how dark the headstocks are so take that into account. I have talked to RSGUITARWORKS - thanks Sean French about redoing it to look more like my Weir's cocabola top (color wise) and they said it would not be a problem at all. I'm more into darker colored guitars. Who knows though, maybe I'll like it more once I see it in person.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse WI had a Genesis the last time I checked.

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

Thank you. I have seen that one. The blue Genesis II right? I haven't decided if I want to go the Genesis route again is the only problem. I bet it's a fantastic guit' but I'm really looking for the real deal (Gould era) The necks are nice but I was spoiled by the full graphite as opposed the sleeved graphite. Both of my Genesis were great guitars but there just not the same since Geoff left Modulus. Have any of you guys checked out his stuff now?

http://www.ggould.com/home.html

He's on the fence as to whether he wants to start building guitars again. I spoke to him for about 20 minutes yesterday. He's a super, super, cool guy. Hopefully I will be speaking to him again real soon too. I'm trying my best!!!! LOL. The guy is a phenomenal builder and as I mentioned just an incredible dude- not to mention he's buddies with Weir.

14. treeofpain

treeofpain Member

15. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

Good score Bilbal! I spelled Geoff's name wrong above as Jeffrey...well it's been a lot of years. He is a great guy...he learned how to work with graphite building satellites for NASA or something like that. He once gave me backstage passes for a dead show at the greek theater in Berkeley...got to meet Garcia and Weir. If there ever was a gear-head band, it was the dead.

Have you seen the custom hollowbody Weir is playing now in Ratdog? I believe it is also a modulus as well...never seen one for sale.

I have not played one of the composite necks, but I agree, the all-graphite necks are killer for tone...at least mine is. I can get the neck EMG single coil to sound like an acoustic...just love it.

So it looks like Geoff is doing basses only now? I have to check out his site some more, thanks for the link. I didn't know what he was doing since leaving Modulus. I've been in Alaska over 20 years now.

16. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

great story with a great ending Bilbal! Enjoy!

17. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

Just read this thread, interesting stuff. Nice old Modulus alaskaguitar, and congratulations on the score on that Modulus bilbal. So when did Geoff leave Modulus?

18. bilbal

bilbal Member