Moen Shaky Jimi - Help need some advice

BPF55555

Hey guys, I know there has prob been threads about this pedal before, but is it an accurate vibe sound? Photocells? I'm concerned because I watched 2 YouTube videos with it and to me (who is prob half deaf by now) it sounded like Tremolo pedal. Am I wrong in that perception? Thanks!

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
imo, don't worry about photocells for the 'vibe' sound.
It's just a phaser with a few specific cap values in the filter and a wonky LFO.
The magic does NOT reside in the photocells. They are more linear than the lamp.

The Jimi gets panned around here on a regular basis.
Each time I've read on it, it seems to get a thumbs down for a true-vibe sound.
But that's just my recollection and opinion.

EDIT: Rather than delete the stuff I wrote on the SJ, I just faded it so people can read and mock me. It appears that the SJ IS the darling of the low-cost vibe-set. And apparently Gen 3 is liked better than the early ones (from the other threads I just re-read).

a simple check with Search function does turn up a number of threads that would give you your answers.

Last edited:

BPF55555

Thanks for the info, I actually didn't know that. Would you endorse the Shaky Jimi as a pretty accurate vibe pedal then? You seem to know what your talking about. Thanks

QUOTE=lefort_1;18782278]imo, don't worry about photocells for the 'vibe' sound.
It's just a phaser with a few specific cap values in the filter and a wonky LFO.
The magic does NOT reside in the photocells. They are more linear than the lamp.

The Jimi gets panned around here on a regular basis.
Each time I've read on it, it seems to get a thumbs down for a true-vibe sound.
But that's just my recollection and opinion.

EDIT: Rather than delete the stuff I wrote on the SJ, I just faded it so people can read and mock me. It appears that the SJ IS the darling of the low-cost vibe-set. And apparently Gen 3 is liked better than the early ones (from the other threads I just re-read).

a simple check with Search function does turn up a number of threads that would give you your answers.[/QUOTE]

SweetMax954

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it sounded like a tremolo. I recently bought an MXR univibe. I love it! It isn't to expensive either. I think it's worth checking out!

Orbis_Ignis

It doesn't sound like a tremolo at all. I guess unless you turn it real high. To me it sounds like a vibe and it does use photocells

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BPF55555

It doesn't sound like a tremolo at all. I guess unless you turn it real high. To me it sounds like a vibe and it does use photocells

So this will get me Trower - type sounds? Thanks for your response!

Orbis_Ignis

I haven't tried to mimic anybody's sound and I haven't listen to much Trower (I know I know, I'm missing out), so I'm not really sure but I would think so.

Orbis_Ignis

For what it's worth, I think it's better than the voodoo labs micro vibe

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
For what it's worth, I think it's better than the voodoo labs micro vibe

That ain't saying much! LOL! Wish I tried the Moen first but am not happy with the other vibe I bought.

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
I have never heard the Jetter but I had a Shaky-Jimmi for a year or two. It does have photo cells and has that Trower throb as well. I found it to be very cool sounding when set right but I also found it to suck the high end out of your tone. It takes some of the sparkle away. I moved on to a mini-Deja Vibe (the wah pedal version) and was very disappointed. No depth at all to that one. It lasted about 2 weeks and then I stayed without a vibe for several years. Got "The Depths" from Earthquaker Devices when it came out and it hasn't left my board. Just what "I" was looking for and, IMHO, it does Trower fantastic.

Trending Topics