Moen Shaky Jimi

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trancedental, Apr 4, 2008.

1. trancedental

trancedental Member

Got one of these on the way for £17.00 new, judging by the following soundclips they sound good for the price! Luckily the seller & distributor tests them all before they get sent out. :crazy

http://www.moenpedals.com/effects/samples/MO-VB_Shaky_Jimi.mp3
    http://www.moenpedals.com/effects/samples/MO-VB_Shaky_Jimi1.wma
    http://www.moenpedals.com/effects/samples/MO-VB_Shaky_Jimi2.wma
    http://www.moenpedals.com/effects/samples/MO-VB_Shaky_Jimi3.wma
    http://www.moenpedals.com/effects/samples/MO-VB_Shaky_Jimi4.wma

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5831292&q=hi&newref=1

2 more sound files here
    http://www.moen.net.cn/product/vb.html

I've got a Danelctro Chicken Salad to compare it with & will report back. Used to have a RM Voodoo Vibe so that's my reference point.

Anyone used the Shaky Jimi?

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've got one of these and it's the best classic Univibe and Leslie tones available in this price range. In reverse to the original Univibe, however, the Vibe setting on the Shaky Jimi gives you the classic phasey tones and Chorus setting is the the Leslie sounds.

These units are pretty well made but there are a few things that improve it (and also void your warranty). One is to put black shrink tubing or electrical tape over the group of four internal LEDS and Sensors - as they are very close together and the light from one can muddle up the neighbouring sensor and not give you the best possible sound quality. There is also a volume drop when you switch on the unit in Vibe mode. Covering the LEDS and Sensor pads with tubing or tape actually helps to rectify the volume drop a little.

The DPDT switches on Moen units are not as heavy duty as they could be. You may never have a problem - my Moen Pretty Dolly delay is still holding up for example. But on my Shaky Jimi it broke pretty fast. It's an easy and cheap thing to replace though. The wires that run to the DPDT switch are numbered on the board 1 through to 6 and it's easy just to solder them onto the new switch 1-3 on one side of the switch and 4-6 on the other.

Apart from that, these are great sounding units and I believe Moen no longer lists them in their product catalogue - so snatch them up off eBay fast. You can't get Vibe/Leslie sounds like this in this price range out of any other unit. It's 100% boutique tones at entry-level prices. The Chorus mode does the most convincing Leslie sound I have heard. The Vibe mode sounds great too - it's kind of mid-way between a Trower Univibe type tone and a Boss CE-1 type chorus tone - deep, watery and quite phasey.

I compared mine to the Dano Chicken Salad and there was really no comparison. The Dano sounds okay but it's more like a 70s phaser to me. I sold it on eBay as my Shaky Jimi was just more 3D sounding to my ears.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I received mine yesterday and was finally able to check it out this evening. I have to agree that for it's price it's a cool pedal, but it's a dark sounding pedal and it's more of a phaser than a true vibe. It doesn't have that 3D effect of any other vibes I have that use photocells. But it does have a wider spread to it's vibe sounds than the Sweet Sound Mo Faux Vibe or Love Pedal Vibe. But I have found that the Mo Faux and Love Pedal Vibe's have a sweet spot to them, somewhere between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock were they do sound more 3D like and they both have internal adjustments that allow you to tweak them to even better move that sweet spot around. Both the Lovepedal Vibe and the Mo Faux are heads and shoulders above the Shaky Jimi in terms of clarity, which that even further accenuates the vibe sound even more on those two pedals.

The vibrato on the Shaky Jimi is a pretty good one, it doesn't equal the uniqueness and rubbery tones of the BOSS VB-2, but I would like to compare it to the Behringer Vibrato pedal. As compared to the Danelecto Chicken Salad, the Chicken Salad has a clearer tone to it, but the Shaky Jimi is easier to dial in vibe tones, versus the Chicken Salad which is a vibrato pedal being tweaked to sound like a vibe. All and all, if the tone of the Shaky Jimi was not as dark, I would say not to even bother with the Chicken Salad. I like the vibrato on the Shaky Jimi better than the Carl Martin Trem O' Vibe, but again the Carl Martin is clearer sounding.

Now one thing the Shaky Jimi has that the Love Pedal, Mo Faux Vibe and Voodoo Lab MicroVibe don't is the vibrato capabilities. But the Microvibe has more of that 3D vibe quality than any of those other three. I compared the Shaky Jimi also to an older Dunlop Rotovibe and the swish and swirl were equal, just that the Rotovibe had a clearer less messed with tone.

The Shaky Jimi's enclosure is solid, but be careful changing batteries, it does require you to loosen a small knurled screw to open the battery door - the problem is the door will fall off the pedal and the screw is not retained in any way to the door. Mine fell to the floor and the door went one way and the knurled screw went the other way. Minor problem, but when the screw rolled up under a stack of amps, it was not as much fun crawling around looking for that screw. Battery access is better than the MicroVibe, yet the Dano's screw is retained in that backing plate.

So all in all I definitely think it's worth more than they are charging for it and to be more fairer to it I need to get inside and see if there is anything for me to tweak. I'll try out the electrical tape/rubber tubing mod as wildshwein recommends and see what that does.

TheGrooveking

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah, the trick is to isolate each LED and sensor from the neighbouring ones. You can either cover it with dark shrink tubing or black electrical tape which is a bit eaiser to work with, as you don't have to apply a heat source so close to all those components. This is so the flashing red light from the other LEDs doesn't get picked up by the neighbouring sensor. I got the idea off the review page for the pedal over at Harmony Central. It does seem to do something . The vibrato seems a tad deeper and more musical to my ears. It's a subtle difference though.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    You know I am going to try this on the Voodoo Lab MicroVibe too, since it and the Shaky Jimi both don't have shrouds over their light source/opto-sensors.

TheGrooveking

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah it should help with your Voodoo Lab too. It seems to be a popular mod/improvement on these type of effects.

7. trancedental

trancedental Member

I played about with the Moen Shaky Jimi for half an hour earlier & was very impressed with the sound, there is a slight bass boost when switched on but overall this is a fine sounding pedal & better sounding with more depth & sparkle than the Chicken salad I have. The bypass is much better than the Danelectro, & the Moen effect has more usuable variations available. The Chicken Salad does sound bass light & tinny in comparision.

Put some black electrical tape over the 4 sensors & thought it made a slight difference to the thickness & depth of effect.

The Moen seems not to eat batteries like the Chicken Salad does either!

8. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

How hard is it to do the electrical tape mod? Is it a delicate job?

Tony

9. bluesmagic

bluesmagic Member

PLEASSSSEEEE can someone help me,
    as moen does not sell these in the uk (england) online anymore i have to ship it off amazon america for almost double the money $86 so is it worth it? i just want hendrix tones and a LOTT of intensity/depth. So is it a good univibe, how would you compare it to other pedals on the market.Also if you know any further imfomation about it such as mods and stuff as i dont know much about it only what it does.
    Thanks for reading!

10. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Dude,

Bumping THREE old threads with the same question is a bit over the top, don't ya think? I wouldn't pay that much for the Shaky Jimi, the unit I had sure didn't have a lot of intensity or depth even after the "electrical tape mod". I haven't owned other vibes, but I sure was left hoping for a more pronounced effect when I had mine: worked fine on more subtle clean tones though.

11. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I recently picked one up. It's the new version. I bought it off eBay.

I don't use it a lot, never owned or even had first hand experience with a real Univibe... or really even any other Univibe clone. I don't do a lot of music that needs it.

But, it sounds great. I use it for Hendrixy type stuff. It does the Band of Gypsies stuff really well. Works incredibly for Machine Gun! It works great for funky, airy, environmental type stuff too.

Is it super deep and intense? I dunno. I rarely ever use the full intensity or depth or speed. Actually, I don't think I've ever used it like that other than originally testing it.

12. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Mine gets pretty intense & cost me about $65 US$ a year or 2 ago. I had the isolation & volume mod done & it ended up costing me $81 total. I like it better than a couple of booteek vibes I've heard.

Tony

13. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I loved mine. Stupidly sold it and got a fulltone mini deja vibe, but I liked the shaky Jimi better.

14. mr_cheef

mr_cheef Member

£50.99 on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moen-UL-V...?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c6c744459