• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mötley Crüe Sells Entire Recorded Catalog To BMG

Mötley Crüe has reached a deal to sell its entire recorded music catalog to BMG for as much as $150 million, according to Variety.

The deal spans more than 40 years of music from the band's 1981 debut album to its final studio record in 2008, plus live albums, compilations and singles.

"It feels amazing to be collaborating with our new partners at BMG," Mötley Crüe said in a statement. "Their extensive track record of success in rock made them the perfect home to continue preserving and growing our musical legacy, ensuring we always stay at the top."

Variety reports that its sources cited different numbers in terms of the total value of the deal. Some gave the $150 million figure, while others gave a far lower number. It's been speculated that some of the money was paid upfront, while the remainder will be paid once the band completes its 'Stadium Tour' reunion with Def Leppard.

The 'Stadium Tour,' which was originally supposed to hit the road in 2020, has been postponed twice and is now scheduled for the summer of 2022.

Mötley Crüe has sold 100 million albums worldwide, with seven platinum and multi-platinum albums, nine top 10 albums, three Grammy nominations and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The band last toured in 2015, but announced a reunion in 2019, following the success of its Netflix biopic The Dirt.

Ozone Baby

I find this interesting because didn't Motley buy the rights to all their albums some years back, so that they owned all their records outright? Or am I confusing them with another band?

If the former is true, it would mean the money they get for selling everything to BMG is more than they think they'll earn from owning the records themselves.

Someone needs to update the song:

From

"video Killed the Radio Star"

to

"Streaming Killed the Record Business"

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Mötley Crüe has reached a deal to sell its entire recorded music catalog to BMG for as much as $150 million, according to Variety. The deal spans more than 40 years of music from the band's 1981 debut album to its final studio record in 2008, plus live albums, compilations and singles.

Seems to me to be a lot of money - and I don't know if Motley Crue sells or streams much these days - I'll say it again - I don't understand these buyouts - could someone make back there $150 Million off of Motley Crue?

R3deemed

Seems to me to be a lot of money - and I don't know if Motley Crue sells or streams much these days - I'll say it again - I don't understand these buyouts - could someone make back there $150 Million off of Motley Crue?
That’s a good question. Speaking for myself, Live Wire popped up on Pandora yesterday, which sparked a mini MC kick, so I streamed Too Fast through Girls.

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
It’s difficult to know if these numbers are a good deal for the artist or BMG.
All I read about is how little wealth artists generate from their music in today’s streaming market.

It makes me wonder if companies like BMG are getting away with a great deal or if they are over-estimating the future value of the publishing rights to these catalogs?

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
That’s a good question. Speaking for myself, Live Wire popped up on Pandora yesterday, which sparked a mini MC kick, so I streamed Too Fast through Girls.

Well - streaming....everyoneI talk to says steaming is tiny money - so even if they were streaming the catalog wouldn't make much - it has to be the licensing in movies, tv , streaming services and advertisements. Still I can't see the Catalog generating that much.

Blackmore Fan

If the former is true, it would mean the money they get for selling everything to BMG is more than they think they'll earn from owning the records themselves.

Its more likely that "rockers" value IMMEDIATE cash rather than holding on and waiting for a larger amount years and years later.

R3deemed

Well - streaming....everyoneI talk to says steaming is tiny money - so even if they were streaming the catalog wouldn't make much - it has to be the licensing in movies, tv , streaming services and advertisements. Still I can't see the Catalog generating that much.
I think it is, but you asked about it and I gave my recent experience in response. I wonder if BMG is banking on the pendulum swinging the other way. That $150 mil just shrinking wherever it was, so they purchased an asset hoping it will hold its value better.

It seems to me that today’s music just doesn’t compare to music made in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, so they could be buying a catalog that will have more value than anything made today.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom