MoFaux Vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BudLite, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Does anyone have one of Bob Sweets MoFaux Vibe? How do they sound and where can you buy one? Thanks

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have one I bought used...I kept this over the Magic Boy. :) Both are cool, but have nuanced differences. I found the MoFaux a bit warmer/less bright, and closer to unity gain (less volume boost).
    Greg

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Cool post, gkelm, thanks. I really liked the Magicboy Vibe at first, but after awhile I did find it to be too bright. If the Mofaux Vibe addresses that, it would be a good thing.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I would agree. I find the Eternity to be a bright pedal as well. I guess I just like bright. :)

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still want to know how they compare to a microvibe

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I would also like to know how they compare to the Rastop Phaser.

8. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Mine's for sale if you're interested. I found it to be very, very close to Mojo in sound.

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I had a Microvibe for many years and liked it better than the Magicboy vibe. It uses real photo cell circuitry like some of the better known vibes and sounds more like what I expect to hear. It is the real deal and a bargain to boot. I sold mine for something ridiculous, like $85... :jo

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I'm selling mine, in the DonneR Swamp Green finish, very cool and like new.;)

11. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I've yet to do a thorough A/B comparison but so far my observations are that the Mofaux is clearer and a bit brighter than the Microvibe ... the Microvibe IMO has some more of that syroupy / thick vintage vibe thing but can be a bit muddy / dark for some applications. The Mofaux is also pretty much unity gain and doesn't really add much noise when placed before gain pedals while my Microvibe has a small volume boost that makes it add noise when placed before gain pedals. The Mofaux has a little more headroom too ... it does have an intense swoosh when used after gain pedals but it doesn't get as synthy as the Microvibe. The Microvibe has to its advantage that you can control the intensity of the effect with the knob on the outside ... with the Mofaux you only have one setting.

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

... theres an internal trim to adjust the sound if you like :AOK

13. nlopez

How do each do at "bridge of sighs. My Micro Vibe is pretty good at it , but has a tough time with "Too Rolling Stoned", though.

14. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I haven't really tried to play those tunes yet other than a couple of Bridge of Sighs licks (I went for Gimour and Hendrix first) but I'd assume that the Mofaux would be able to do a better job than the Microvibe on Too Rolling Stoned (the solo) ... the effect is intense enough but stays clear so it doesn't overwhelm the tone on medium tempo or fast single note licks like the Microvibe can. You can tame the intensity on the Microvibe but the alteration of your base tone is still there. Having said that, that stronger character is what IMO would probably make the Microvibe better for slow tunes like Bridge of Sighs where the actual swirl and presence of the effect is very important for the overall groove.

One important thing that I forgot to mention is that the speed on the Mofaux can get much faster than that of the Microvibe.

btw, the internal trim on the Mofaux is supposed to be extremely sensitive (as per Bob Sweet's own words) so I don't plan on messing with it *yet* although I did mess with the internal trim on the Microvibe a couple of times ;) ... the advantage that the Microvibe has in that respect is that the intensity control is on the outside of the box ...

15. nlopez

Thanks Shakkal. Looks like, I am gonna have to get a real vibe some day.

16. Don Rusk

Well the internal trim on the MoFaux is different than t he Microvibe - the microvibe changes the depth and throb ...

I was playing with the MoFaux today and its internal really changes the effect , can completely change the whole throb a nd roll and the amount of phase vs. vibe - and yes most of it is within a 1/8 of a turn ..... it would be very cool to put that useful part on a full pot :AOK

17. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I'm sure that I'll end up tweaking the thing .. I just hope that I can resist the urge long enough to give the stock setting a good workout :D

18. Don Rusk

HA!... yeah i ended up with it just about at stock,,, Suprise! Bobs got good ears , but its cool to note what else is in there -- just put a little mark on the stock setting before you tweek...:AOK

19. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Hmmm...I have to open m MoFaux again. I opened it after I received it but I can't remember there was a trimpot inside......

20. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

It's under the board but there is a large hole where you can fit a small screw driver in there for adjustment.