Mogami vs Canare vs Gepco

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andegq32, Jul 2, 2008.

1. andegq32

andegq32 Member

Was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the Mogami 2524, Canare GS6 and Gepco x band. I'm looking for a well balanced sound and was wondering which one would best suit my needs.

2. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

Sure go to http://www.lavacable.com/Suitability_Guide.htm

It will probably open up a can of worms but I went with VOVOX from guitar to pedals to amp. TONE? AWESOME!!!

Email them if you still have questions. fast good responses assured.

3. andegq32

andegq32 Member

Yeah,
    I went to lava cables. I'm looking for more of a tone comparison than technical info.

4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

The Canare and Mogami sound very similar to me. Haven't used Gepco that I know of, but who knows...many studios...

The two I tried are fine. I have heard better, but they are fine.

DS

5. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Mogami has a much "flatter" response than canare or any other cable for that matter. I use their mic cable for my cords and they don't add or take away anything from my tone. Most cables are "filters" with the paticular makers take on what they want you to hear more or less of. I don't subscribe to that school of thought and have been using these mic cables since the mid-80's when a local engineer suggested I try them. The overall response is far superior to anything else i've tried. Just my two cents.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I use the Canare G6S, I haven't heard the others. Someone said the Mogami is darker, another individual said the Canare sounded just like George L cable...this I don't believe at all since I have both.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

They were pretty darn close, both rather harsh.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I don't find the Canare to be harsh, dark yes, more middy, yes harsh not IMHO. A friend of mine got a bunch of cables from Lava man to try out and the Canare was the darkest of the bunch if I remember correctly but when it was compared to some other stuff (wish I could remember) it wasn't as harsh as some of those we tried.

9. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Cables are just like anything else in that what works in one rig may sound like total ass in another. Got to try em' out for yourself and see what werks.

10. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

Gepco by far sounds like the clearest of the three. However, it is a bit thick and a bit more difficult to work with when using Neutrik connectors (however, it is worth the trouble). I also have Lava ELC and think it is quite comparable to the Gepco with maybe a hint more clarity. As always, it really depends upon your gear as to what differences you might notice.

11. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i'm liking the gepco cables i have a lot! i use a 20' gepco cable to pedalboard, lave elc on pedalboard, then another 20' gepco to the amp. sounds nice!

12. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I found the Gepco to be harsh. The Canare is fine. Harryjmic plays without a pick that that changes tone and cable response dramatically. I say spend a few bucks more and get Sommer Spirit. That's what I did.