Mojave love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daddyo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I was checking out their website and they look like pretty cool amps that are well built. No reverb though - but you can buy an outbaord. Anyone have any hands on reports?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Lots of folks here have had them and written about them. Use the search function and you'll find lots of Mojave love.

I've played the Peacemaker, Coyote and owned a Scorpion. Very impressive, great sounding amps. The Peacemaker and Scorpion do that hot-rodded plexi thing really well.

3. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Leonc - What led you to sell the Scorpion? I just picked up a used one after being smitten by it in the store. But, I am starting to feel that it leans to a darker overall tone (but I guess that's the idea - its supposed to be the brown sound, after all). I'm wondering if a tube change will bring some sparkle back to it. One thing is for sure though, it has a great great modded marshall sound, and the power damping and line out features are a godsend.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I've owned several Mohave's and loved every one of them. Great amps in every respect. And they're among the best there is at doing what they were designed to do. And Victor has always been an excellent guy to talk to and deal with. Mojave is easily among the very top of my favorite builders list.:dude

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I found myself using my bridge pickup most of the time with this amp as it was a bit on the dark side for me too. Ultimately, I'm not as big a fan of the plexi thing as some folks I guess. Not long after I got my Orange Rockerverb, I decided I didn't need many other amps for gainy stuff. The Rockerverb has a great effects loop and a spectacularly good master volume making it even a better solution for club playing than the Scorpion. Plus, absolutely gobs of headroom on the clean channel. Finally, the Rockerverb has a more unique sound and I really dug it.

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Feel the love...

[​IMG]

Yeah, a $2,000 amp and a $300 guitar...:D

7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

[​IMG]

i'm happy with my Peacemaker and Coyote
    :dude

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Vic stands, er, sits behind his products! :p

9. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I really like the Peacemaker, but using a hotplate with these amps brings out their best attribute. These amps were made to be cranked and I've never heard an amp work better with a hotplate than the Peacemaker and Scorpion. You can go from clean to scream with your volume. I own and love my Germinos, but they don't mate with my Hotplate the way the Mojaves do.

10. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I got a used Peacemaker and mojave cab for a real good deal at Guitar Center, but returned it after a couple of days. The reason is no matter what I did, I could not dial out that upper mid nasal sound. I understand that I lot of people like that sound, but it just wasnt for me. It was just too bright for my taste.