Mojave Peacemaker vs Marshall Plexi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kevo, Dec 29, 2005.

1. kevo

kevo Member

i'm getting a peacemaker and just wanted to know how they compare to a 60's marshall sl.

2. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I've had both and they are very similar but certainly not exact.

I think the transformers contribute to the biggest difference in tone however. I think many of the boutique Marshall guys are all working with the iron producers like MM, Heyboer, etc. to get as close as possible to the old Drake and Dagnall iron, but so far there are few that have actually nailed it.

My 12000 series (early '68) Metropoulos 100 watter should be arriving any day. I'll let you know how that sounds...

3. evhtone

evhtone Member

This is the one amp I am really interested in at the moment!!

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Any of those will float your boat if you are a true believer.

5. kevo

kevo Member

if i had the money i'd buy one of georges 12xxx amps. also an old hiwatt DR103 and orange or120!

anyways, for those of you that have owned a peacemaker or have played one are they very versatile? i know they're leaning more towards a thicker 1967 marshall tone(evh) but can they get bright like a 1970 marshall tone(Jimmy Page)?

6. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

If you can find 67 marshall ay price tag around $3000.00 go for it
    or stick w/ mojave
    peacemaker is more like 70's sound

7. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're not going to find a '67 Marshall plexi in condition worthy of buying for $3,000......

A clean / unmolested '67/'68 100 watter is gonna set you back at least $4,500 and up.......

8. bjm007

bjm007 Member

To get a Peacemaker to be as bright as Jimmy Page (Circa 1970) will require the installation of a bright capacitor on the #1 volume control. A value of 100pF-500pF should do it. I would keep the value as low as possible otherwise you won't be able to use the amp very much with single coil pickups - too much of the "ice pick" thing happens above 500pF IMO.

Are you really sure you want your amp that bright???

9. MARCO

MARCO Member

Please tell us bjm when you get the Metro 12000 Plexi...?? I am curious as well !!

10. kevo

kevo Member

i like the brightness jimmy page gets on the how the west was won cd set. it sounds brighter but its not ice picky. is it possible that i can get near there with the treble turned up and maybe the high-mid too?

11. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I was always puzzled at how bright Jimmy's neck pickup was during the 70's. Then I started experimenting with Marshalls and I found out that in 1969 Marshall switched from a 100pF bright cap on the treble volume control to a 4,700pF bright cap. That will make even the warmest/darkest neck pickup sound crisp!

If you want that Page tone from HTWWW ya gotta have a bright cap on there. There's just no way around it. You can experiment pretty easily with different values, just make sure you learn how to discharge the big cans (capacitors) so you don't electrocute yourself and go try a bunch of different values on the #1 volume control.

You'll have some fun and find out exactly what value works best for you...

12. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i was at mojave today and had my peacemaker modded for the noise reduction deal, and heard the vintage chime mods he did to the sidewinder and a/bed it against my non modded/non power dampened coyote.
    cool!
    and i played through the plexi 45....if i had to choose another mojave to get, that would be it.
    also left my egnater tol 100 there to be repaired for some blown resistors and set up to run 2 6L6 sylvania GCs instead of the 4 EL34s.....i hope that turns my eggie into a clean machine!!!

13. evhtone

evhtone Member

I, too like a brighter sound which has some of my buds scratching their heads. To each his own I say.

Yes, Page's tone on HTWWW is Heavenly.

14. MARCO

MARCO Member

I find it hard to believe that you cant take a warm plexi and boost the presence and treble controls to make it sound harsh and bright & vise versa....does it really matter if the amp is inherently one sided or another ??

15. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Nah, if you're after Page's HTWWW tone, the bright cap is a better way to go than trying to use the presence or treble controls.

It's really easy to do and you can dial in the amp exactly the way you want it. I tried 4-5 different values on that cap before I found the one I wanted. It makes a huge difference................

16. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Would they do a 50 watt version of the 12000?

17. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I'm guessing George has something in mind already, but I don't think the serial numbers would be in the 12000 range though... Good question