Mojave Scorpion vs Germino LV55

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cyclerob, Apr 26, 2005.

1. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

Humm... Here's he tough question, I own a Mojave Scorpion and a good buddy of mine kinda offered me to trade his Germino LV55 plus some other stuff for it... I heard the LV55 a while back, but I don't remember how different it is from the Scorpion... I just remembered that it sounded really good, so is the Scorpion... My gut feeling is that I should keep my Mojave, but any reasons why I should consider doing it?? What does the LV55 does that the Scorpion doesn't and vice versa??

Here's some other amps I own... THD Bi-Valve, Adam Stark Fire Amp, Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, Dr Z Route 66, few Marshall's JCM 800 2203... Anything that you think the Germino can do that these guys don't already??

Thanks...

Dominique

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

The Scorpion as far as I know has quite a bit more gain on tap... however the Germino, IMO has better cleans and a crunch to die for... that said... if you can try the LV55 out first I'd definately do that, however... from the list of amps you have, it seems the LV55 would fill a better gap than the Scorpion does considering you already have some pretty high(er) gain amps and the Germino is best at crunch and bluesy break-up IMO... plus just good ol'classic rock.

-TJK

3. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I own them both, and they are surprisingly similar in many ways, but I'll focus on the diffferences here...

The Scorpion has more headroom than the LV55, and it also has a bit more gain than the Germino once you get past about 6-7 on the volume. Having said that, there's something about the Germino that is just so damn "musical" it kills me.

I'm a sucker for Greg's amps and I own a few of them. My favorite is actually the "regular" Lead 55. It's got more headroom than the LV and you can get more than enough overdrive with a pedal. That's my favorite Germino amp, although I haven't tried the Headroom 100.......... yet ;)

4. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

My friend is lending it to me today so I can try them side by side... Another buddy of mine, Steve Hill, is going to help me out comparing them... Here's a clip from last year of Steve playing live that I've posted before on TPG in case you haven't seen it... He's not too bad with a Les Paul and a Marshall! ;)

http://www.lenetblues.com/Hill-Victoriaville.wmv

I like what my Hot Cat 30 does in the higher gain department... So that's why I'm thinking about making the switch since I think that the LV55 may fill a spot tone wise that I don't really have...

But the real problem is that there's too many great amps being made now... And I want all of them! :D

Dominique

5. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Damn nice playing by Steve there. Thats why I'll never sell my 72' 50 watt. No other amp sounds like a finely tuned Marshall.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

was he using marshall or germino in the clip, sounds perty darned good to me whatever it is.

7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i've played both.

i'm a mojave man all the way, but the germino is very sweet too.

reminds me of a warmer sounding vintage marshall, and actually sounded like a refined version of a mix between channel 3 on my egnater tol 100 and the lead channel on my egnater tol 50 combo.

chocolatey instead of fiery:cool:

(hope that wasn't too cork sniffy):D

8. cyclerob

cyclerob Member

He's using his Les Paul 58'ri in his trusted 69' 50's Marshall with a greenback loaded 4x12" early 70's Marshall cab in that clip... And pedal wise, if my memory his correct, he's just using a Boss OD-1 and a Roger Mayer Fuzz (the orange one)... BTW, the clip is from last year and both his guitar playing and singing have improved quite a bit since!

I was lucky enough to spend 3hrs in his home studio this morning and both the Germino and Mojave sounded great... In his hands anyway... It's a tough call, but for now I'll keep the Scorpion... Minds you, I know that I'll own a LV55 at some point 'cause it's a great amp too!

Dominique

9. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

10. Ironman

Ironman Member

merci beaucoup or not, what the ****!!! Rock on, that's what I'm talking about! Smoking jam, he's on on that one! LP into a Marshall, doesn't get any better with some talent behind it. Almost better than sex...almost. Smoking!!!

Steve

11. Burj

Burj Guest

Hi,
    Do you want to sell your hotcat 30 head? or Scorpion?
    Just checking
    Thanks
    Rob

12. Burj

Burj Guest

Hi,
    Do you want to sell your hotcat 30 head? or Scorpion?
    Just checking
    Thanks
    Rob

13. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

if it were me i would categorize like so..if you want to sound like Duane Allman live at Filmore..the Germino is it..if you want more gain or brown sound the Scorpion is it